Hop Rhizomes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sprungmonkey

Reaction score
When are people planting their rhizomes - some resources say spring others say now before August 31?

one other question - have heard that hops are toxic to dogs - so therefore is there any risk for my dog when growing hops in the same yard?

i planted mine about august i think cant remember now that was 2 years ago. as for dogs it sends their metabolism in to hyperdrive and they end up cooking from the out side in. ive got a fence around mine to my little terror out.

Cool Ill plant them out the front i guess ( where the dogs arn't) but unfortunately there is less sun. - might have to trim some of the trees to let more light in.

I always worry about dumping my spent hops in the garden, but it seems like after the first sniff the dog isnt stupid enough to eat them.

I have buried two POR rhizomes , have heard to put them in the ground with a southerly aspect and to keep them moist. I guess it 's just a waiting game.

Hi Guys,

Hops prefer 100 sunlight if they can get it. The more sun, the stronger they will grow and crop. Keep them moist and never wet. Mulch with at LEAST 6" mulch like peastraw etc

You can plant them now ok, just keep a watch on the moisture levels. If you have heavy clay soil, plant them in a 1 foot mound.

The first year is the only time your in danger of killing them from over or under watering. A handful of blood and bone around them as they poke through will give them a great boost.

Hops flowers are the only parts poisonous to dogs, and only some dogs are sensitive to hop oils. My cocker spaniel is too stupid to care for them. :D

I have buried two POR rhizomes , have heard to put them in the ground with a southerly aspect and to keep them moist. I guess it 's just a waiting game.

Southerly in the northern hemisphere, northerly down south!

Equatorly would be more accurate! :)

Northerly aspect is the best. As mentioned they need plenty of sun.

Hops flowers are the only parts poisonous to dogs, and only some dogs are sensitive to hop oils. My cocker spaniel is too stupid to care for them. :D

Lol, i have a cocker spaniel as well, and she normally likes to get into most things, but wont go near hops. As i said in my last post, she gave them a sniff once and hasnt gone near them since. That said, she is a rather smart dog.

You said they are bad for dogs. What about horses or cattle? I sometimes let them into my house yard to "mow the lawn". It would be a real bummer if I killed one of the horses :( .

In one of the hop resources on the net it claims New Zealand hop farms let sheep graze in them to keep the weeds at bay, spose if the sheep can get away with a horse or cow should be fine with them.

Latest posts

Back