• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Hop Rhizomes For Sale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Keep in mind Quarantine regulations are incredibly strict when it comes to the hop growing states (especially TAS).

Never used to be a problem as Australia Post wasn't into the business of checking domestic mail... now it's been a few packages arriving in Tassie from the mainland I've had opened...

Best to find out the regulations, declare the rhizomes and pay the $25 AQIS fee for inspection (they'll even often waive it if the plants are for non-profit use).

Cover your arse. Fines are up to $10,000.

MFS

Thanks for this info I will check this out, haven't sold any to Tassie.
Have been thoroughly washing all the soil off the rhizomes from
when I saw your post. They are packed in damp coir for delivery.

Cheers,
Rupert.

Will post a few Sunday of what I have left, When they have gone I will
give out an email address from where you can get some more of the above
in around one months time. Though am out of Perle, I do have some Hersbruker.

No more PM's orders/enquires please, can deal with the few PM orders I have left ok :)
...which I will answer tomorrow.

Rupert.
Hi guys,

Have so few left from this last batch its not really worth posting them here. As am digging up some
more in about week, then more a few weeks after that. I have decided it would be a lot more straight
forward for me to put you on a 'Rhizome' list, (leeboy and Marcus you are on the top of the list).

To go on rhizome list email me: [email protected] with subject line HOPS, and just your username
in the body of email. You will get a short confirmation reply that you are on the list, hopefully within 24hours.

I will send "rhizomes available" email to a small number of people at a time, starting at the top of the list,
when they are sent off, will contact the next few people.

(I do have some 'jumbo' size rhizomes to dig up much later, which will be good if you require just one
supersize rhizome.)

Just a few of the rhizomes don't have buds formed yet, this photo: "Budding variations"
HERE are of "Tardiff de Bourgogne", showing six variations in rhizome buds: #1 is typical, #2 & 3 buds still to form,
#4 tiny bud just forming, #5 a couple of side shoots, #6 a huge bud! #7 buds everywhere, top, side and base of rhizome.
Some "Cluster" rhizomes, photo: HERE

If rhizomes you receive are in not top condition ...damaged etc. ...or any other problems let me know.

Plant a soon as possible, good drainage is important (otherwise there is a risk of rotting in winter). If
you have soil you can grow veggies in it will be ideal for hops ...maybe with a bit of extra manure :)

Otherwise buy a bag of good quality potting mix (use an Australian Standard - Certified Product it has
a marking of 5 white ticks on red background) dig hole(s), fill with potting mix and plant rhizome in a
slight mound, this will guarantee very good drainage with no chance of rotting. Some manure in hole
first is good.

It's lots of fun growing hops :)

Rupert.

not to blow off cannabaceae, but if you guys are still looking for hops and he doesnt have enough to go around I emailed the fella down in tassie this morning, he replied just now saying he had about 7 varieties still for sale.

Pack 4 : Cluster (extra large) $15, Goldings (large) $20.

Total of $35 plus $5 post and packing, all up $40.

Thanks Cannabaceae ... I got the hops today! Terrific service! I've planted them too.

It's a Goldings ...the name is given to where it is grown.
Then I have Stirling Goldings! That sounds very posh doesn't it? Oh well ... really
just Goldings then. :)

Thanks again for the hops.

I just want to say thanks to Cannabaceae as well because my rhizomes came today. :beer:

I've planted them in pots for a while because it's still a bit frosty down my way but they're all a good size and I can't wait for them to start growing. It's about the only way I'm going to get excited about gardening. :p

Thanks Cannabaceae ... I got the hops today! Terrific service! I've planted them too.
Then I have Stirling Goldings! That sounds very posh doesn't it? Oh well ... really
just Goldings then. :)

Thanks again for the hops.

SNAP! Except mine are Mt Torrens Goldings, definitely not the posh Stirling variety :D

Planting mine yesterday but need to put a frost barrier around them i assume unless these beasts are frost tolerant?
Thanks for the speedy delivery Cannabacae

Cheers
DrSmurto

Mine arrived today wooohoo. Think of the possibilities :chug: . Thanks heaps mate!!

Got mine too, did you get my payment Cannabaceae?

My large rhizome i got from Rupert has over a dozen thick shoots coming off it now its warmed up a bit, Looking for some solid growth from its 1st year.

Ordered a couple of rhizomes from Rupert and hope to get them before the weekend. Got a "large" Hersbruker and a "small" Tettnanger

If they take off well we may have to organise a swap Keifer. :)

Benniee

Sounds good man, my tettnanger is coming into its second year, but would gladly swap something (POR, Columbus or Goldings) for a hersbruker rhizome :)

Hey Rupert, what have you got left? Don't forget about the Perle too ;)

I scored myself a cluster, EKG and Columbus, been in the ground for 2 weeks now and the new growth has already pierced the top soil and is about 2 inches high with the second layer of leaves fully sprouted. Columbus (large) has multiple shoots and is looking to climb hence the intro of string to my trellis. Will include photo's in the next few days

I'll take one of each!

Allan
I'll take a pack#2 please!

Cheers,
Will
Hi guys,

I will close my Hop list as only have a few left, Allan, Will and others who have
recently contacted me I will let you know tomorrow what I have at the moment.

I have another batch of generally much larger hops to dig out, I just put two up
on eBay:
eBay link for jumbo Goldings rhizome
eBay link for jumbo Golden Cluster rhizome

Some of them will be much larger than these two.

There will be some Goldings, Hersbruker, Tettnanger, Columbus, Golden Cluster,
Tardiff de Bourgogne and Chinooks.

If you want any of the above cultivars, the best thing to do is to click on the
link above and click on "Add to Favourite Sellers" button, on right hand side
under "Meet the Seller".

I better get stuck in and dig them all up and into cold storage ...as from reading your
posts here they will soon start growing again!

Rupert.

A mate and I bought rhizomes from Rupert and the service was exellent. Thanks !! They arrived quick and very well packed.

I went back to the Basic Brewing Radio Podcast archives and relistened to the interview with the guy who owns fresh hops in the US. Some great tips in this for anyone who hasn't planted yet. Worth a listen.

pm

I went back to the Basic Brewing Radio Podcast archives and relistened to the interview with the guy who owns fresh hops in the US. Some great tips in this for anyone who hasn't planted yet. Worth a listen.

Do you happen to know which podcast this was? I had a quick look over the list on their website but couldn't see anything about fresh hops.

Benniee

I scored myself a cluster, EKG and Columbus, been in the ground for 2 weeks now and the new growth has already pierced the top soil and is about 2 inches high with the second layer of leaves fully sprouted. Columbus (large) has multiple shoots and is looking to climb hence the intro of string to my trellis. Will include photo's in the next few days

EKG? Do you live in Kent? On the eastern side? :blink:

Benniee

April 6 2006 "Growing hops at home" Look in the 2006 archive bit.

I found the podcast - I realised I was looking at another page linking to the Basic Brewing webpage.

Here's a Link to the mp3 file.

Benniee

Latest posts

Back