Hop Plugs In The Boil...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a replacement s/s mesh screen - the type that are used on those camping toasters (about 170mm x 150mm). Fold it round on itself to form a tube, fold up one end and shove it over the spiggot inside the boiler using a cable tie to hold it on.

They only cost a couple of bucks at the supermarket and if it goes in the weekly shopping its free :)

Hi Brewers,
I think brewers the world over celebrated the invention of pellets. :D
No more nasty wort stealing and blocking up the works with flowers.:ph34r:
Does anyone have calcs for how much wort flowers do actually take up?
Of course given if you allow for extra wort left behind in the kettle and a screen of some sort they do work fine.
I used to whirlpool then rest, then syphon the wort from the top with a hose with a S/S pot scrubby attached over the end with a rubber band.
I pressume if you have a pick up tube that takes wort from the side of the kettle after the whirlpool you could just put the scrubby over that.
As TDA noticed, gummy up the works with flowers in front of a crowd of brewers after a few hours of 'sampling' can be very .......er umm......entertaining. :chug:

Heres to pellets. :chug: ;)
Jayse.

Jayse

Sorry mate, have to disagree. I prefer plugs or flowers. I find that they form a good filter and the wort from the kettle is clearer and cleaner with less break material and naturally, no hop pellet sludge.

Cheers
Pedro

Not pretty but effective. The bottom is a flour sifter from Big W the top is Termimesh, a piece of mesh sits inside as a lid. It floats around quite happily in the kettle then I sit it on the immersion chiller to drain while cooling. No good if going for high IBU with a low AA hop it wont have enough wort flowing around the hops, but for most brews it is very effective, no more clogging.
Pic shows it full of tonights goldings.

hop_basket.JPG

heya Vlad,
That looks great. The size of the holes in the mesh looks a lot larger than Termimesh. Is it stainless steel? Where did you get it from?
cheers
Darren

way to go vlad.this is very similar to what i am thinking of trying down the track.
darren this course size mesh can be found in the kitchen section of woolies in the guise of a colander or strainer/seive thing.

cheers
big d

hi darren
just measured the mesh apperture and its 2mm square.hope this helps

cheers
big d

Sorry big D, my bad!
I meant the size of the piece of mesh. Would be one big strainer

The next mod will be a new immersion chiller with the basket sitting fixed in the centre with a mesh lid, just put the 2in1 chiller/hop basket in the kettle at the start and "Roberts your dads brother".

Latest posts

Back