Hop Plants

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgriffin

Reaction score
It's been a long time since i have been on here, between moving (thrice), buying a house, new job etc, the brewings fallen by the wayside. Anyway, since i came for a bit of a look, i thought i would share some piccies of a hop plant. The father in law is a bit of a green thumb, and offered to grow some, so i bought some off ebay and gave them to him.
The pics attached is a hallertauer at 6 weeks of age, i was pretty impressed. Hopefully i might even get a decent crop the first year!

PIC00941.jpg

Hey,
Down here in the 'Gong I'm growing some hops myself. In the second year of Chinook, Mt Hood, and some Columbus that's never come up. I'm a bit of a black thumb more than anything, I can grow cactus, and have managed to kill a lemon tree, and am now giving that a second go with a kaffir lime and a chilli.

Anyways, my question to be put out there: is it the drought, or have I done something wrong with this years' growing? I just let it come up, haven't done much but water it, and it's no more than 5 or so inches of growth (the hops...).

Please help.

TIM

gidday tim, i am also growing a hop plant in the gong near lake illawarra, a tettenager vine and she is goin ok i guess for her first year, about 65% of the foliage of j griffin tho i wasn't expecting a large yeild this far north, but i have noticed recently that the early leaves are browning on the places inbetween the veins. is this sun damage?? or salt maybe??

in any case there are tiny hop flowers with hairs on them then some actual cones appearing so i am real excited.
from what i understand hop plants are activated by lengthening periods of sunlight as summer arrives (hence the restriction on growing latitiudes, not being just temp related) and if you are under the escarpment (the land of the 3 oclock night, bulli etc) maybe they are not getting enough hours of sunlight?

just a thought.. :)

capretta,
I'm in Albion Park, back a tad from the stinky lake. I got a killer yield last year, but nothing this year. I'd say your browning of leaves is just due to heat and drought stuff.

TIM

Latest posts

Back