Hop plant from Bunnings

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quote from the website...

"You filter your home brew through the dried hops to increase the bitterness."

ke?

Edak said:
Quote from the website...

"You filter your home brew through the dried hops to increase the bitterness."

ke?
eg. randall

NewtownClown said:
Yessssss. But the point is a randall adds flavour/aroma NOT bitterness
EXAAAAACTLY! that's why I highlighted the bitterness statement...

I've checked Capalaba, Mt Gravatt, Cannon Hill, and Underwood Bunnings stores with no luck. Capalaba sold an "Olive Herb" from Haar Nursery, the same supplier as the "Beer Herb", so that is the closest I got. Anyone I asked didn't know anything about what stocks were coming. I also checked Hawkins Nursery at Chandler, again with no luck. I was going to check the other Underwood Bunnings (we have 2) and Browns Plains, and maybe Rocklea and Oxley Bunnings before I give up altogether. Then, maybe check them all again after winter.

I'll be keen to hear if anyone finds them at another Brisbane Bunnings store, maybe on the north side?

scl80 said:
I went to my local Bunnings today at Marion (SA) and also found they had 2 'beer herb' plants. I looked up the website on the back of the pot label because there was no variety name. On the website it said Humulus lupulus 'American Cascade' (see http://www.haarsnursery.com.au/beer-herb), so with the confirmed variety, I bought them both. I can feel a jiffy pot in the soil, but I'm yet to take them out of the pot to check if they are derived from a rhizome.
They're most likely tissue cultured going on the description.

No luck at Compton Rd, Underwood Bunnings, Rocklea, Oxley, or Browns Plains. Rocklea and Browns Plains stocked the "Olive Herb" from Haar Nursery (same as Capalaba), so I'll be checking back at these stores in future. Maybe we'll see the hop plants after winter?

Bit of a thread dig, but was wondering how people who had bought these were going?

Did they end up providing any usable flowers?

Are they still available?

I planted 2 late last year, I neglected them over a few hot days as I left Melbourne and went to Torquay for some beach so they got a bit dry and burnt.
The 2 plants produced some flowers all up about 30-40g worth. Its not a great crop but they smell amazing.
From what I have read hops dont usually produce much in the first year, so im happy with the result.

I have seen them still at my local Bunnings, might be worth getting a hop rizhome from somewhere else, that way you know the variety.

Last time I spoke to them (haar nursery) they said they don't sell to the public but go into Bunnings with a print out from the Haars web page Bunnings can get it in for you that way. Im gonna try my local Bunnings and see how I go. Not expecting huge success but willing to give it a go.

Found it on their website . It is an American Cascade hop .Look under herbs and the bar on the left shows beer herb among other category's .

HBHB beat me to it .

Cheers
Beer Belly

My sister in Melbourne bought one from bunnings and brought it up to Brisbane for a Christmas present.

It's going OK in the garden now after, what 3 months. We weren't expecting anything this year with the late planting but fingers crossed for next year.

I recall googling it and finding out it was Cascade which was a nice surprise. Very comforting to read above that others got a crop, albeit a small first year crop, but I'm just glad to hear one was female. You'd assume they'd make them female or they'd be a pretty daft nursery. Anyway here's a photo of current Brisbane progress. Will have to start with a more complicated trellis soon.

cascade.jpg

Update:
I had one given to me very late last growing season. It didn't do anything and died off in the cold ACT winter. It has just sprouted with vengeance recently after a very long winter of neglect in the corner of the yard. So does this mean it is in fact a rhizome or has developed into one? Looks to be doing what Hop vines do... and putting on a few inches every day, it is already taller than it was at the end of the season last year.

sorry to resurrect a thread but I got one of these suckers 2 summers ago. The first year had plenty of flowers, but this was before I was into to brewing so I gave them off to a friend. Last summer it went crazy and I made a couple of really tasty brews out of them. I've recently moved though so I ripped up the rhizome, and it had roots 4-5m long under the house. It was quite gnarly looking, having been planted on top of shit clay soil and spread itself quite far. I broke it up into 4-5 pieces and 3 of them have taken off.

Did anyone else have much luck with their beer 'erbs?

Back