Hop plant from Bunnings

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BTW Bunnies are carnts!

Ever spied a particular product and gone back in a few months to find they don't stock it anymore? (Bue Willow Jerry Cans, Generic 10" Water filters, 20L food grade white buckets - these were the last three used-to-be-stocked-items that made me mad).
How many times have you been to Bunnies to find the item sticker/label on the shelf but none to be found?
Ever tried them out on that "if you find it cheaper we'll beat it by 10%" - I spoke with 4 staff members who did not know how to process it, fortunately the 5th figured out how to do it.
How many times have you found items so much cheaper elsewhere you have said to yourself, why don't I just purchase it here rather than wasting time going to Bunnies?
How many times have you gone there to find that they have things similar but not the paricular item you want.
How many times have you wandered around trying to find some one to assist you find some thing? Ever wandered around looking for an item for so long that you have just given up and gone home?
Ever noticed they have differing price schedules WITHIN the store? For example X item in the average Jo Blow's stuff will be a higher price than if you find the same item in the trade supplies sections.
Carnts, I tells ya, carnts!

Yob said:
not like you to be shy Nath :p

Yeah you're right yob. Probably not like me to be so courteous either...

Something must be wrong with me. Id better go have a beer and a lie down!

Got an unexpectedly quick email reply from Matt Curtis (business development manager) at Haar's Nursery stating they are American Cascade!! good find mate thanks for the heads up :) I've got two in big pots now, gathering their strength for next year.

Thanks Dan, I may need to pick up a few more and give them to my father in-law. Think of it as fully automated hops production :ph34r:

danw said:
Got an unexpectedly quick email reply from Matt Curtis (business development manager) at Haar's Nursery stating they are American Cascade!! good find mate thanks for the heads up :) I've got two in big pots now, gathering their strength for next year.
Bunnings selling Casacade hops? I better pitch my marketing strategy to them real quick before someone else gets in!

tiprya said:
Anyone seen these in NSW?
I've had a quick look at bunnings here, but i might go back in and actually ask around
if they're Cascade plants, i'd grab 3 or 4 for sure

"if they're Cascade plants, i'd grab 3 or 4 for sure"

I wish they'd fix the broken quoting.

I think this is the crux of it. Buying an unknown hop variety seems to have little value to me, regardless of the price and accessibility.

Malted said:
BTW Bunnies are carnts!

Ever spied a particular product and gone back in a few months to find they don't stock it anymore? (Bue Willow Jerry Cans, Generic 10" Water filters, 20L food grade white buckets - these were the last three used-to-be-stocked-items that made me mad).
How many times have you been to Bunnies to find the item sticker/label on the shelf but none to be found?
Ever tried them out on that "if you find it cheaper we'll beat it by 10%" - I spoke with 4 staff members who did not know how to process it, fortunately the 5th figured out how to do it.
How many times have you found items so much cheaper elsewhere you have said to yourself, why don't I just purchase it here rather than wasting time going to Bunnies?
How many times have you gone there to find that they have things similar but not the paricular item you want.
How many times have you wandered around trying to find some one to assist you find some thing? Ever wandered around looking for an item for so long that you have just given up and gone home?
Ever noticed they have differing price schedules WITHIN the store? For example X item in the average Jo Blow's stuff will be a higher price than if you find the same item in the trade supplies sections.
Carnts, I tells ya, carnts!
I maybe mis-interpreting this post, but I have a funny feeling Malted is not a fan of Bunnings.

:icon_offtopic:
kahlerisms said:
I wish they'd fix the broken quoting.
Nothing's broken as you can see.

Top left corner is a little light switch, switch that to get back to plain text modus, then edit the quote and whatever else you want to do. switch back to add smilies or whatever.

Big Nath said:
Yeah you're right yob. Probably not like me to be so courteous either...

Something must be wrong with me. Id better go have a beer and a lie down!
I'm based just up the road from you (Naracoorte) and have some Chinook you can try. Send a message come winter and I'll send you some down.

mosto said:
I maybe mis-interpreting this post, but I have a funny feeling Malted is not a fan of Bunnings.
I will join Malted, I hate Bunnings with a passion!! One perfect example, went to Bunnings to look at outdoor furniture stain, saw the price and thought "that's not quite right", went down the road to Home Hardware... 50% cheaper!! and it wasn't on sale. Bunnings are full of it.

I was onced asked by one of the guys on the floor whether the fibreglass I was buying became clear when it dried 'because it says glass'....... And he was the floor guy giving advice!

It's a place full of nuffies and yeah, they don't stock half of what you need for a project, the timber is shi+ quality compared to the timber yard (and more expensive). Bah, stupid Bunnings.

anyway, OT rant, sorry :D

I have no idea why you might think that.

Bunnings whorehouse logo.png

Bunnings logo 2.jpg

Would love to know who got the other 5 pots at Taylor's Lakes (VIC) Bunnings.

I was there last night on the hunt hoping I could knab another plant given the missus has granted her blessing to grow them given she likes the look of them ornamentally.

Maybe I should have a squiz to see what the Big Blue Shed has :D

How did people go with their Bunnings purchased hop plants? Should still have made growth if planted out into the ground or a large pot in February, in which case I would expect they will be good goers next season.

hoppy2B said:
How did people go with their Bunnings purchased hop plants? Should still have made growth if planted out into the ground or a large pot in February, in which case I would expect they will be good goers next season.
Going to wait for mine to drop its leaves and the stick it in the ground under a pile of straw and chicken wire (so the bloody dog doesn't pull it out).

Although it's pretty comfy under the pergola. Maybe I should wait till spring before putting it in the ground and just pot it on for winter.

I went to my local Bunnings today at Marion (SA) and also found they had 2 'beer herb' plants. I looked up the website on the back of the pot label because there was no variety name. On the website it said Humulus lupulus 'American Cascade' (see http://www.haarsnursery.com.au/beer-herb), so with the confirmed variety, I bought them both. I can feel a jiffy pot in the soil, but I'm yet to take them out of the pot to check if they are derived from a rhizome.

Beer Herb.JPG

Back