Hop plant from Bunnings

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Big Nath said:
when i spoke to the lady in the garden section, she told me that they don't all purchase their stock from the same place, and that the "victorian" bunnings' would get their stock from an entirely different place/company/nursery etc..
Very true,Bunnings in SA aren't going to get plants shipped from Vic.So maybe have a look at the plant labels there and see what wholesaler they come from in your state.A quick Google search gives the likely one/s.Whether they sell hops is another question,and if the're a wholesaler they're not going to sell to you personally.and maybe you just aren't going to be able to get them at your local Bunnings.

Big Nath said:
gsouth,

which bunnings did you find that at mate?

Have called my local (only bunnings in several hundred k's) and they don't know what i'm talking about....not surprised.

But they did say that if i could find out where it was purchased from, then they may be able to get one.
I got it from the Bunnings in Springvale (just near Keg King) but my cousin told me about them because she saw them in the Wangaratta Bunnings

gsouth said:
I got it from the Bunnings in Springvale (just near Keg King) but my cousin told me about them because she saw them in the Wangaratta Bunnings
Sweet, thanks mate.

A very long shot i know....but atleast i can tell them where to go to find out about it. They may be able to do inter-store transfers or something like that. (one shop orders them, and transfers them to another store). They might not be able to, but many years working in the retail sector make me aware that a lot of chains do exactly this.

I'll give them a call...cheers.

I love the quote on the back of the tag...

"Sleeping on a pillow filled with hops is a popular folk remedy said to alleviate sleeplessness"

So if I get drunk and spill some beer on my pillow, I might pass out and sleep?

I picked up 2 today at Waurn Ponds, We'll see how they go :huh: .

Why buy an unknown variety late in the season with a potentially unformed or small rhizome? Why not wait until winter and get known varieties of large rhizomes for feck all from folks here on AHB?
If you like the novelty of a mystery hop, I'll just sell you some healthy rhizomes and not tell you what they are. :lol:

Malted said:
Why buy an unknown variety late in the season with a potentially unformed or small rhizome? Why not wait until winter and get known varieties of large rhizomes for feck all from folks here on AHB?
If you like the novelty of a mystery hop, I'll just sell you some healthy rhizomes and not tell you what they are. :lol:
Not sure about the other puchasers, but the reason i was thinking of giving one a go, was just to see if i could actually grow it without wasting my lack of greenery skills on a rhizome that could have potentially gone to someone else who wouldn't have killed it.
Was just gonna use it to practise on so to speak.

I have a really bad habit of killing everything i put in the ground.....despite the region where we live being exceptionally good at growing all sorts of stuff. Nice amount of sunshine, warm summers and excellent rainfall etc...

Would hate to waste a kindly donated, or sold to me, rhizome.

they grow like weeds in germany.

Big Nath said:
Not sure about the other puchasers, but the reason i was thinking of giving one a go, was just to see if i could actually grow it without wasting my lack of greenery skills on a rhizome that could have potentially gone to someone else who wouldn't have killed it.
Was just gonna use it to practise on so to speak.

I have a really bad habit of killing everything i put in the ground.....despite the region where we live being exceptionally good at growing all sorts of stuff. Nice amount of sunshine, warm summers and excellent rainfall etc...

Would hate to waste a kindly donated, or sold to me, rhizome.

No need to worry about limited numbers of rhizomes, I throw away plenty every year. There is no shortage so feel free to buy a known variety that you are actually interested in using. Once growing they take up a lot of room, not sure why you would make this level of commitment for an unknown.

Practice? Why? They are incredibly easy to grow.

Pretty sure WA and TAS are off limits for sending hop rhizomes as far as im aware?

tassie is, ive sent to wa before but the paperwork is fun.
your better off trying rupert on ebay cant remember his name on there.

DrSmurto said:
Practice? Why? They are incredibly easy to grow.
Quite literally just trying to be considerate to other brewers mate, that's the only real reason.

If I kill it, then someone else may have had that rhizome.

I have no idea if they are in abundance or not, so if they are, of course I'd be more interested in a known variety.

2013 could be the year I take up someone's offer to grab one and have a go I 'spose!

I have a Goldings and a SAAZ if anyone from SA is interested.
They were planted last year but are in pots still so didn't produce many flowers, they will have a good head start for next season.
Happy to swap then for a couple of your finest homebrew.

I put a heap of advanced rhizomes into the green waste bin last year, I giggle a bit thinking they may have grown at the dump, however chances are that they got munched up and composted.
In a small yard like mine, the adventurous roots (that can be split to form new rhizomes) need to be dug up each year to stop them spreading too far. They can spread a couple of metres each way, each year. Whether they are sold or put in the bin, they still need to be dug up. You'll find that there are plenty of hop growers who trim their roots back and couldn't be arsed selling them as rhizomes. There are plenty of sources of rhizomes around so don't worry about depriving anyone else of plant material.

Latest posts

Back