Hop Oil Candy Carb drops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SergeMarx

Reaction score
Ahoy

Thought I may making my own carbonation drops infused with hop oil - before I embark on this labour intensive experiment with dubious outcomes, I thought I'd see if someone had paved the way before me.

I calc for 2.4 vol CO2 after 18C ferment, I'll need 2g sugar per drop for a 330ml bottle. So for 60 bottles (just shy of 20 litres) I'd need 120 grams of sugar, and 4.3 grams of hop oil at recommended rate for 330 bottles.

Obviously to make a single batch it would be easier to simply infuse the hop oil in the priming liquid I normally use - but, if I could do a batch of 500 or so in one go, there's an obvious time saving advantage later for future batches.

So... hop oil in the hot sugar syrup - will it ruin / change the hop characteristics i'm trying to impart?

Hi folks,

'B-Hoppy' makes something very similar to what's being suggested, but is designed for eating. A customer of mine in Texas tried to use a few of the sweets to carbonate his beers and this is the message he sent me:

"By the way, Bob. We tried an experiment recently that was a lot of fun. I had a Texas Brown Ale (hoppy brown), and we decided to bottle 4 EZ Cap half liter bottles. We tossed a Cooper's Carbonation drop plus around 1/4 tsp of corn sugar in one bottle as a control sample, and one each of the Cascades, Fuggles, and East Kent Goldings hop candy in the bottom of the other three bottles. The beers carbonated perfectly and you can tell a noticeable if still somewhat subtle difference between the four bottles. Thought you'd like to know."

Scott Birdwell
DeFalco's Home Wine & Beer Supplies
[email protected]
www.defalcos.com

So, it does work but you just have to make sure the dose is correct for the size of the bottle you're carbonating! Hoppy Trails~

Latest posts

Back