Hop Cuttings

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J.T

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

After reading through a few of the hop growing threads, i wouldnt mind having a go at propagating some plants from cuttings.

It seems that growers are picking their hops about now, and i assume pruning their bines at some stage afterwards.
Just wondering if anyone nearby would be willing to part with some of the vine/s after pruning?

Unfortunately i dont have any plants or cuttings to swap, but would be happy to part with a few coins if need be.

Id be also interested to hear from people who have successfully propagated hop plants from cuttings.

Cheers

JT

I would imagine that a softwood (spring) cutting would be easier to propagate, though a hardwood (autumn) cutting would have better change of surviving shipping. Your best bet if you do aquire some is to buy some cutting mix and some rooting compound (honey works well!), keep them well watered and in a sheltered spot and just wait.

You'll need to find someone more familiar with hops cultivation to be able to tell you how long it'll take to start producing a crop. I'd imagine 2 years.

This is also a bit of a request too, so anyone from Sydney interested in donating a few cuttings I'd be more than obliging to pay for shipping.

I would imagine that a softwood (spring) cutting would be easier to propagate, though a hardwood (autumn) cutting would have better change of surviving shipping. Your best bet if you do aquire some is to buy some cutting mix and some rooting compound (honey works well!), keep them well watered and in a sheltered spot and just wait.

Cheers b-thomas, I have had quite a bit of luck with propagating other plants, like rosemary and lavendar and more recently a few roses. If hops are at all similar, the slightly older growth works better.
I imagine that the cuttings would need to be sheltered during their first winter. Especially here where it gets quite cold.

2" "Rodan" rockwool cubes and "Clonex" Root hormone gel, both available from your friendly hydroponics store.
From my experience, taking a growing tip that is established (at least 100mm) works most successfully for me, soak the grocube in plain water, squeeze excess water out, take your cutting with a fresh sharp sterilised razor blade (spray/wipe with isopropyl alcohol) first, cut diagonally about 10mm below a node, strip the set of leaves off that node, dip in root hormone gel and push gently into cube till roughly halfway through.
Best to put them in a sheltered spot, an old fishtank works well for me, out of direct sunlight (they will cook and die really easily if they get hot), spray regularly with a mister, but do not keep wet, if the days are hot/air is warm, cover with some clingfilm to reduce transpiration (water loss from leaves), but make sure to open daily to allow some fresh air in there otherwise you may get a fungus problem happening.
Keep your handling of them to a minimum and only with clean hands & as soon as you get roots showing through the bottom of the cube you can plant into soil.
Make sure you drop the top of the cube far enough below the surface of the soil that watering/minor soil movement doesn't expose the surface of the cube, as this will wick moisture out of the soil and possibly starve/kill the young plant.

Works for me, hope it helps :)

edit: added a couple of snaps..

cuttings1.JPG

cuttings2.JPG

I'd pass on the pruned vines mate, but I will be using all of my bines for cuttings for a little research project I have going....I won't be getting a harvest this year.

I don't do anywhere near that much work propagating cuttings, I just cut about 4cm off, strip the biggest leaves off and chuck them in a glass of water. No hormones, no powder. About 3 days after you've given up because nothing's happened they shoot little white roots out. Let the roots grow a bit, then chuck into a little pot and give them away.

Yeah, but that doesn't work for me for some reason...........I wish it did, but every time I try they go yuck and don't sprout..so I resort to doing it this way instead.

I've had success from the cutting bits off and sticking them in the ground method.

do you strip the leaves off Wayne? (and wait a while?)

Kai, that's just the glass method but less water :p

My hops dont seem to want to flower anymore.

I have Mount Hood and Tetnang or columbus. - will need to check.
One is past the roof with no flowers.
The other is upto the top of the Balustrade with no flowers.
3rd is in the ground - grew about 3-5cm and then nothing - might still be alive.

I live in Lyndoch and am giving up growing hops.
You are welcome to them - proviso is you must propagate them and share them around.

drop by sometime...

My Columbus never really took to the lattice very well. So I'll have to reposition it next time.
But I've actually had more luck with getting the cuttings going, than actually growing the initial plant.
I just threw them in water (and dropped in a few fertiliser pellets).
I've got a handful of chinook & Columbus starting to form little roots if anyone wants any.

Well usually I would strip the leaves back till there is only really one small set and wait for further growth, but these ones seem to be doing fine with them all on......

I guess I should be more specific now that I've had less beer... I've always propagated from rhizomes rather than ordinary cuttings.

So is cutting off a rhizome, after harvest just follow a bine an inch or so into the ground till you find a nice little pink tip and cut off there.

I just step on mine trying to kill them but they enjoy that and spring up angrier than ever.

Latest posts

Back