Hop Additions To Coopers Bavarian Lager

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KGB

Reaction score
Hi all. I've basically only brewed kits with simple modifications so far and have tried dry hopping a little.

My next brew will be the Bavarian lager and I'm just after some advice on how to throw it all together. I've got a fermentation fridge with temp control and some saflager yeast and was planning on using a kilo of LDME and some basic hop additions. My questions are:

1. Should I use anything other than the kilo of LDME? eg BE1/2 or liquid malts?

2. What hops should I use and when should I add them? On hand I've got 100g of cascade, 200g of Saaz and probably 75g of NZ Hallertau. If these will suit it would be great because I'm getting married on sunday and wanted to leave the brew to ferment while I'm on my honeymoon.

Cheers,
KGB.

Hey,

I am going to brew the same kit this weekend (if the family will let me have the time that is). The plan is to use purely hallertau with low IBU's. Seems like the more traditional type of hop to go with this kit. Do you know a good base IBU to use for this type of kit for working out hop additions? Or anyone else for that matter?

Cheers
Starkesbier

I have brewed Coopers Bavarian Lager several times and the best result was the first time when I brewed it following the kit instructions with one kg of Coopers Brew Enhancer one.It had a lovely light gold colour and a unique flavour.Since then adding malt and various hops has resulted in losing the golden colour and the unique flavour.
I used the kit yeast and fermented at 20C.I think a lower temp should improve the lager as I think the kit yeast ferments down to 13C.
The Bavarian Lager is being phased out by Coopers.The local Coles no longer stock it but Kmart still sells it.
Best wishes for Sunday and the future.

i have done this once and it was an awesome beer a partial mash with the kit i used 1.5 kg pils malt and 1.5 kgs of muncin and german halertua but since using a kit i would fresh liquid is good the coopers light is good i would at hal for a 60 min boil of 40 grm around 4% a/a and another 40 grmas at 10 mins frrm end of boil of the same type of a/a

The Bavarian Lager is being phased out by Coopers.The local Coles no longer stock it but Kmart still sells it.
Best wishes for Sunday and the future.

Thanks Barry, I was wondering if this was the case since they brought out the European Lager kit.

Latest posts

Back