Hop 10 Cubed

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...I imagine it would be like sucking a very bitter lemon?...

Correct me if I'm wrong but I always thought that a lemons taste was sour, not bitter?

edit: I guess we're both right, a very bitter lemon is still very bitter, despite what lemons are meant to taste like :p

...I imagine it would be like sucking a very bitter lemon?...

Correct me if I'm wrong but I always thought that a lemons taste was sour, not bitter?

edit: I guess we're both right, a very bitter lemon is still very bitter, despite what lemons are meant to taste like :p

...I agree, Sammus ..."sour" is the best choice descriptor ...I was too disturbed by cj's post to find an approprite simile :D

...No sour grapes at this end ?!!... :lol:

I was very close to it this week. Had an opportunity for 2-3 months in Tokyo, but my work load here in Sydney is out of control and my boss wouldn't lend me to the Asian office in Tokyo :(
I'd even looked up how far Chiba City was from downtown Tokyo :p
Short answer: Not Far! My place is about 40 minutes outside Tokyo, and my condo is only 2 minutes walk from the nearest station. Hopefully your boss will see the benefits of having you spend some time here in the near future!
Thought about randalizing it? :blink:
Well, I do have a Randall in the closet . . . . . :p

Transferred today to two 11-liter kegs, but the second one is only half full -- damn, those dry hops soaked up a lot of beer! (Either that or my sampling was a little more liberal than I thought.) It has cleared up a lot -- only a slight haze to it that may or may not get worse when it's chilled. Beautiful color and the most amazing hop aroma ever! It's like opening multiple bags of fresh whole hops, spreading them around the living room, and sitting in the middle of them. Mmmm. For a 20-liter batch that used 1 kilo of hops on brew day plus another 100 g dry hops, it's surprisingly balanced. Yes it's got a hoppy aroma, yes it's got a hop flavor that's not going anywhere for a long time, and yes it's got bitterness that doesn't quit even after you finish the glass, but there's enough beer in there to make it a nice brew. I'm carbing and chilling now, and once that's done I'll bottle it up and drink it over the winter. My plan is to set aside six or so for sampling over the next year to see how this many hops holds up over long conditioning/aging, but most I'll just drink.

I will do this again -- but not right away.

Oh, and here's a picture of the dry hops after I rinsed them out of the keg I used for conditioning.
Dry_Hops.jpg

Sounds like a yummy beer, cj. It's amazing that it's balanced, despite your best efforts. That hop aroma description is great. Would love to have a sip. Maybe I'll have to make my own. :lol:

Hmm, i have enough to use 100g each of Saphir, Amarillo, Magnum, Mt Hood, Northern Brewer, Super Pride of Ringwood, NZ B Saaz, NZ Hallertau and Simcoe. I wonder how that would turn out :rolleyes:

I'm already planning mine - gonna be huge :)

cheers Ross

Quick update -- Hop 10 Cubed has been kegged for about a week, but there's no fridge space to chill one of the kegs down. Hopefully I'll be able to clear some space out this weekend -- or maybe I'll just fill a bucket with ice and do it the old fashioned way! I'll post tasting notes as soon as I sober up.

I just poured the first official pint of Hop 10 Cubed. Aroma -- as expected, it's like opening a fresh bag of whole hops, sticking your nose in and taking a huge huge whiff. Man! As the glass approaches my lips, my mouth and throat are coated with the aroma of hops -- does that make any sense? It's almost like the hop oils leap out of the glass and stick to the sides of my mouth. Sip. Yes, there's malt in there somewhere, mostly in the initial taste, but this one's all about hops, baby! The malt is there in the beginning, but then you get an up front flavor of hops. Middle, hops. Finish, nice long lingering bitterness. I'm going to be tasting this one for a long long time tonight! And that's a good thing! :wub: :ph34r:

Edit: I should add that I doubt most of my friends will be even trying this one -- this is for me, me and me. And, any of you guys who might make your way to Japan in the next few months -- I'd love to pour you a pint!

Wow, sounds incredible. Hop flavour just from the aroma. :super:

The only surprising thing is that you can still taste some malt in there. :lol:

A good idea not to share it around. I'd guess that many wouldn't enjoy it, and anyway, you need to really taste test changes over time to this unique brew. :chug:

Yeah, that's my plan -- I have two 11-liter kegs of the stuff (actually probably only 9-10 liters in each). One will be my "sipping keg" over the next few months and the other keg will be bottled up for long-term aging. This will be at least a year-long taste experience!

Fantastic CJ.
That summary and the 100+ IBU thread has convinced me to dry hop my one.
I can smell yours from across the pacific :p
Did you take a piccie of it ?

Beers,
Doc

No pic -- I was drinking out of a ceramic mug, my current favorite drinking vessel. I'll see what I can do next time out.

And, any of you guys who might make your way to Japan in the next few months -- I'd love to pour you a pint!

I'm heading over there leaving here around Jan 20 and coming home around Feb 20. Will probably land in Tokyo and then head by train to Takaoka... I'd love to see if I can catch up with a class brewer like yourself CJ.

I've never even tasted any of these "big hop beers", and don't really know if I'm game to try brewing one unless I know I'll enjoy it!

Great -- let me know when it gets nearer and we'll make a plan. That time period is pretty open for me -- the school year ends in January, so there's lots of flexibility. There are some good beer bars to hit in Tokyo, and of course I'll have a couple bottles of my best waiting for you. Looking forward to it.

What's the update on it now it's had a little time to mature?

CJ - time's going to be tight on this trip as I've squeezed in a visit to Canada aswell :ph34r: .

I've got a 12 hour transit between Singapore/Tokyo/Vancouver whereby the plane lands at 7:05am Monday 22 January and my flight out to Vancouver is at 7pm. I'm planning on making a trip into Tokyo itself to pass some time, take some photos and get some baseline electronics prices. I realise being a Monday, it's unlikely you'll be away from work.

After my Vancouver leg, I return to Tokyo on Tuesday 31 Jan at 3:20pm. At this stage I may head to Osaka/Nara to catch up with a couple of friends prior to heading to Takaoka for the rest of my stay in Japan. I haven't confirmed any actual train trips yet.

I leave Japan Sunday 18 Feb at 9pm, so I may be able to squeeze something in on my return trip to Tokyo, but I'll have a shitload of clobber with my snowboarding kit etc.

If we can work these dates then I'd love to visit. Otherwise I might have to organise a bottle to be sent to where I'm staying ;) [of course I'd pay you for postage etc] :beer:
Let me know.

Nick

IMG_1011.jpg

:eek: :eek: :eek: Why would u not just use pellets at this stage? Only in USA.....and doc's place, and ross's and cj's.......I should go

What's the update on it now it's had a little time to mature?
Unfortunately, I haven't had a good opportunity to sample it in the past few weeks. I did have a party at a friend's house that I took a keg to, but I didn't think it was right to spring the Hop 10 Cubed on them. :p This weekend during the American Football playoffs, live, I'll pour a pint or two and report back.
I've got a 12 hour transit between Singapore/Tokyo/Vancouver whereby the plane lands at 7:05am Monday 22 January and my flight out to Vancouver is at 7pm.
Damn -- any Monday but the 22nd is free -- only on the 22nd I have tests at school that it's impossible for me to get out of. :(
After my Vancouver leg, I return to Tokyo on Tuesday 31 Jan at 3:20pm.....I leave Japan Sunday 18 Feb at 9pm
I have a lot of free time during that period, so if you are in the Tokyo area, most likely I'll have time to meet up with you. Or if you're anywhere near Numazu in Shizuoka, I can run down to Baird Beer for the best micros in Japan. When you do set your schedule, let me know and we'll see what we can work out.
Otherwise I might have to organise a bottle to be sent to where I'm staying [of course I'd pay you for postage etc]
Hell, you give me an address and I'll send you a care package. Shipping is cheap here, so no worries there. I'll just have to make sure that I have some of the good stuff bottled up for you -- right now most of my beers are in kegs of various sizes. But, I should be able to get a nice box of 12 beers or so ready for you in time -- IPAs, the Hop 10 Cubed, a Schwarzbier Ale that I just made up, an IIPA, and maybe even a fruit beer or two, if those are something you might like. Might as well have at least a few good beers while you're here. B)

Okay, I'll get that keg of the Hop 10 moved to the front of the beer fridge so I can taste and post on Sunday. :super:

Why would u not just use pellets at this stage? Only in USA.....and doc's place, and ross's and cj's.......I should go
Pellets are just so gooey -- I can't handle the clean up. Whole hops just make it so much easier -- and enjoyable -- to clean up! :ph34r:

Back