Hop 10 Cubed

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cj in j

Reaction score
My new 2006 hops came in, and as I tried to jam them in my small Japanese-sized freezer, I knew I had to do something drastic. And here's what I came up with -- Hop 10 Cubed. It's got 10 different hops, 100 grams each, for a total of 1000 grams (which is 10 cubed). It also has 10 different malts/grains. Then I dry hopped every third day for a total of five dry hop additions. Right before adding the last dry hops yesterday, I sneaked a pint -- man, is this good stuff, and it's not even done yet! Oh yeah, and this is for a 21-liter batch.

Hop 10 Cubed
OG = 1.075 (80% efficiency), FG = 1.019, IBUs = 300 (yeah, right! :p ), SRM = 10.54

Grains
1250 g Crisp Maris Otter
1250 g Weyermann Pilsner
1400 g Weyermann light Munich
900 g Weyermann Rye
600 g Weyermann light Wheat
350 g Weyermann Carafoam
350 g Dingemans Caravienne
350 g Weyermann Melanoidin
350 g Dingemans Biscuit
100 g Flaked Barley

Hops
100 grams each Amarillo, Centennial, Crystal, Liberty, Magnum, Newport, N Brewer, Simcoe, Vanguard, Willamette. Mix together in large bucket and add as follows:
100 g in mash
100 g first wort
100 g each at 60, 50, 40, 30, 20, 10, 5 and end of boil

Yeast
1 pack Nottingham dry
1 pack Safale S-04

Mash in around six gallons of room temp water (need extra water to account for mash hops) with 10 g gypsum and 21 g (1 tablespoon) pH Stabilizer. Slowly heat to 66C over 30-45 min. Hold at 66-67C for 60 min. Sparge with enough 77C water to collect 32 liters in brewpot. This will boil down to 27 liters after 80 minutes, which should allow for ~20 liters of wort after allowing for hop absorption (this allows for 5-7 liters of wort loss to hops! :blink: ). Boil for 20 minutes before starting hop additions (see above for schedule). 15 minutes before the end of boil, add Servo capsule. 10 min before the end of boil, add Whirlfloc tablet.

After boil, chill to <20C, aerate, and add yeast. Ferment at 19-21C for around 7 days or until gravity stops dropping. Transfer to secondary and dry hop with 5 g each of Amarillo, Centennial, Glacier and Simcoe every third day for five additions. One week after last dry hop addition, transfer to serving keg or bottle. Condition until drinkable, ~2-3 weeks. Enjoy!!!

Comments: Actually, it's drinkable remarkably quickly. Yes, there's a lot of hop flavor and aroma, but it's not nearly as bitter as I expected. The dry hops seem to have smoothed things out a lot. At the end of the week, I'm planning to transfer to two 11 liter kegs (3-gal US) -- I may dry hop one of them with an additional 3 g each of the dry hops used above, but I'm not sure yet.

Anyone who's interested in trying something like this, I'd recommend increasing the grain bill by around 5% all around -- I ended up a bit short on the original gravity, 1.068 instead of 1.075. All the hops in the mash and in the boil really screw around with water calculations, and I think I ended up with quite a bit more wort than I planned -- hard to say since the brewpot was so thick I could barely stir for the final boil hop addition. It was really a fun brew, and I'll probably repeat next year if I find myself facing another hop glut.

Cheers! :beer:

holy crap, 1kg of hops!

I'm impressed.

Doc, you've got some competition...

Welcome CJ.

As you know I've been following this topic on Brewboard. Between you and Drewsleu (sp?) I have the inspiration for a milestone brew hopefully next week along the same lines.
A grain and hop cleanout whilst brewing a mamoth hop monster.
Would love to see a picture of your beer to get a visualisation of the colour.

Beers,
Doc

my God, Man!! 1kg of hops!!!!

...I get nervous using 90 grams ?? I imagine it would be like sucking a very bitter lemon?

So ... after your body stops convulsing, does the beer taste okay?

the brewpot was so thick I could barely stir for the final boil hop addition.

Maybe that's why it hasn't come out quite as hoppy as you expected (hoped?) cj, because the thickness of the mash sorry boil probably meant that utilization was quite low.

Either way, sounds like a good work out for the taste buds. Lupulin Threshold Shift has really hit you. :lol:

Doc, got to make room for the new arrivals I guess. :super:

The new arrivals are in, but it was a squeeze.
Should free up a kg+ of room next weekend :p

Doc

PS: For those that don't follow Brewboard, CJ is one of the pioneers of the Hopburst.

Would love to see a picture of your beer to get a visualisation of the colour.
I'll try to get a picture when I transfer next weekend. Right now I can say it's a kind of golden brown color -- and VERY cloudy, like most highly hopped beers I've made.
I imagine it would be like sucking a very bitter lemon?

So ... after your body stops convulsing, does the beer taste okay?
I don't know cause I usually don't stop convulsing even when not drinking this monster! But really it's not all that bitter -- the flavor and aroma are awesome, but the bitterness is unexpectedly subdued.
the brewpot was so thick I could barely stir for the final boil hop addition.

Maybe that's why it hasn't come out quite as hoppy as you expected (hoped?) cj, because the thickness of the mash sorry boil probably meant that utilization was quite low.

Either way, sounds like a good work out for the taste buds. Lupulin Threshold Shift has really hit you. :lol:

Actually I'm trying to redefine Lupulin Threshold Shift! I'm sure the utilization was low on the later hop additions, but the earlier ones should have taken care of the bitterness. I've talked to another brewer who did something similar, and when he sent his beer in to a competition as a double IPA, the comments from the judges were along the lines of "good beer, but needs more hops."
PS: For those that don't follow Brewboard, CJ is one of the pioneers of the Hopburst.
Mmmmm, hopbursting. I drank a couple pints of a HopBurst Pale Ale tonight after I got done brewing -- definitely an interesting brewing technique (and yet another way to use up excess hops in the freezer).

Cheers,

cj

I've talked to another brewer who did something similar, and when he sent his beer in to a competition as a double IPA, the comments from the judges were along the lines of "good beer, but needs more hops."

:lol: :lol:

Shhhhhh, cj There's been rather a long thread on here recently on the good and (mainly) bad of competition. Don't fuel the fire again! :ph34r:

Alright -- send me a PM about what other hot-button topics to avoid. :ph34r:

Here are some pictures from brew day -- it's all about the hops!

25-liter bucket with the hop blend, preboil
Bucket_O_Hops.jpg

4-liter bucket with one single hop addition
Hop_Addition.jpg

Post-boil, spent hops up to about the 16-liter mark in my 38-liter brewpot
This_Is_The_End.jpg

I'll try to get a good picture of the beer next weekend. :)

I'll like to see PistolPatch have a glass of that !!

Batz

How much do you pay for hops in Japan :huh: ?
That brew would preserve something like Formaldehyde <_< .

Comon Guys this is just Ross under another name trying to encourage us to buy a load of hops to get the stock down ;)

Pumpy :D

Hey CJ,

Ive been following this on the Brewboard and look forward to the tasting notes :)

For those who are interested here are some more hop shenanigans :eek:

Cheers
Jye

How much do you pay for hops in Japan?
I can't get good hops in Japan, so I buy them in bulk from the States -- Freshops and Hops Direct mostly. Air mail is pricy, but it's worth it when all those beautiful hop flowers come in. :super:
Comon Guys this is just Ross under another name trying to encourage us to buy a load of hops to get the stock down ;)
Nope, not Ross, not trying to get you to buy a bunch of hops. To prove it, open invitation from any Aussie Homebrewer member -- next time you're in Japan, Tokyo area, let me know and we'll have some beers together.
Wow.
Does your mouth feel numb after drinking it?
No, but I do sleep like a baby after a pint or so -- and have great dreams!
Hey CJ,

Ive been following this on the Brewboard and look forward to the tasting notes :)

For those who are interested here are some more hop shenanigans

Cheers
Jye
Tasting notes will be coming just as soon as it's transferred and carbonated up.

And Jimvy's El Diablo takes what I did to a new insane high!!!!! :eek:

Thought about randalizing it? :blink:

Nope, not Ross, not trying to get you to buy a bunch of hops. To prove it, open invitation from any Aussie Homebrewer member -- next time you're in Japan, Tokyo area, let me know and we'll have some beers together.

I was very close to it this week. Had an opportunity for 2-3 months in Tokyo, but my work load here in Sydney is out of control and my boss wouldn't lend me to the Asian office in Tokyo :(
I'd even looked up how far Chiba City was from downtown Tokyo :p

Beers,
Doc

Back