Honey Wheat Beer - Crystal Grain

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enoch1973

Reaction score
Hi all. First post here. Just started brewing and I want to do Honey Wheat beer.
I've done a few extract brews but I wanted to get opinions on adding Crytal Grain (steeped) to a Honey Wheat Beer.
I was going to go for something light. So far I'm going with a low IBU and the following ingredients:
1 x Mogans Unhopped Extra Pale 1.5kg
1 x Mogans Wheat Malt 1.5kg
500g of Honey (suggestions on the type and whether I can use honey from the super market would be welcome to...)
Possibly 200g of crystal malt
15g of Pride of Ringwood (60 minutes)
10g of Perle (flame out)
23 litre ferment...
I'll probably go with US-05 as I haven't delved into yeasts a great deal but want to move away from kit yeast...

Thanks in advance

Hi all. First post here. Just started brewing and I want to do Honey Wheat beer.
I've done a few extract brews but I wanted to get opinions on adding Crytal Grain (steeped) to a Honey Wheat Beer.
I was going to go for something light. So far I'm going with a low IBU and the following ingredients:
1 x Mogans Unhopped Extra Pale 1.5kg
1 x Mogans Wheat Malt 1.5kg
500g of Honey (suggestions on the type and whether I can use honey from the super market would be welcome to...)
Possibly 200g of crystal malt
15g of Pride of Ringwood (60 minutes)
10g of Perle (flame out)
23 litre ferment...
I'll probably go with US-05 as I haven't delved into yeasts a great deal but want to move away from kit yeast...

Thanks in advance

Hi,

I made one Honey "Canadian" lager before. turned out not too bad but i was using a cheaper beer kit so with the ingredients you are using there is no reason yours wont be really nice.
Most recipes for a honey beer recommend a "Strawberry Clover" honey. I found this hard to come across but it is available in some Cole's shops apparently. I probably wouldn't use too strong a honey flavor wise either. The other thing i would recommend is to go to a dedicated Honey shop and ask there. thats what i did and they gave a me a mild honey. Dont get a cheap honey and compromise the rest of the ingredients would be my opinion.

Hope this helps a litttle.

Back