Honey wheat ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

falcon250

Reaction score
G'day All,

I've recently acquired some nice light flavoured honey and would like to make a honey wheat style ale with my own hops, here's the recipe:

250g Maris Otter Pale @ 5.9 ebc
500g Weyerman Carared @ 40 ebc
750g JWM Pils malt @ 3.2 ebc
1 KG JWM Wheat @ 3.5 ebc
1 KG Honey ( added after boil?)
Safbrew Wheat or Mangrove Jacks Wheat Yeast (whatever I can get).

My own home grown POR estimated aau around 9
20g @ 60 mins
10g @ 15 mins
5g @ 5 Mins

Beersmith states it should be 28 ibu's, should I bitter a bit more seing the amount of honey and wheat ? I estimate my hops to be around 9% aau, the plants are from Hop products Australia in Bushy Park Tasmania.

Any suggestions / comments always greatly appreciated!

Cheers.

I'm gonna recommend what I usually recommend for honey beer recipes, from my own limited experience: make a solution of honey and water and add when the fermentation hits its peak. You get more honey character that way. (The trade off is there's more risk of infection since the honey doesn't go get exposed to heat for a prolonged period.)

My reccomendation is mash your grain on the higher end of the scale, as the honey will ferment out and leave it dry and thin.

As for the ibu I think 28 sounds about right but that just for my tastes. Really depends how bitter 'you' want it.

Latest posts

Back