Honey Pilsner

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sainter1775

Reaction score
Hey guys looking for thoughts.

I have made a AG Honey Pilsner...basic chez style pilsner with addition of 1kg of honey at boils end and then fermented at 10-11 'C for 2 weeks with 3days at the end @ 18'C(slow ramp up)...to finish of the yeast. The Yeast was Wyeast 2001 Urquell Lager . The beer as been filtered and is therefore clear and carbonated. My question would the honey give a faint banana flavour? or would this have been from the 10l litre starter which fermented at 18+ 'c for three days(which I have done plenty times before without these results) .

The beer itself is very drinkable...as the banana flavour is faint and almost balanced out by the hop bitterness.

Thoughts

No lager yeast should produce Banana. Did you pitch the entire 10 liters or did you let it settle and pitch just the yeast?

Did you pitch the full 10l starter, or chill and decant?

What size was your final batch? 10l as a fraction of even a 50l batch...I'd expect any off flavours generated there to folllow through...

nathan_madness said:
No lager yeast should produce Banana. Did you pitch the entire 10 liters or did you let it settle and pitch just the yeast?
Isoamyl acetate is produced by both ale and lager yeasts.

The batch size was 60L and the started worked out to be 8l. The strange thing is I have none this many times before without this result that's why was wondering if the Honey may have had an effect. Like I said this beer is actually very drinkable...just wondering I guess.

Latest posts

Back