Homegrown Hop Aipa - Recipe Feedback & Will Us-05 Manage 1.071sg?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goatus

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just harvested a buttload of homegrown cascade off my hop plant.. they smell awesome. Calls for a nice hoppy cascade AIPA I think.

I'm guestimating their AA% at about 3% (I figure I wouldnt have done as well as the commercial growers % wise, and im not really sure if i dried them long enough, so i pulled that figure out of my arse). Either way, it wont matter too much with this recipe as most of the bitterness will come from the magnum, with the cascade later. So it will either be a very nice bitter AIPA, or a very nice EXTRA bitter AIPA if i under-calculated. Ill be happy either way =)

So just looking for some feedback on the recipe below. Also OG is estimated at 1.071 SG - is this too much for a packet of US-05 to handle? If so I may brew a smaller beer (APA with more homemade cascade =) first and dump this on the yeast cake. Thoughts?

20L batch. Had that amount of crystal malt laying around, hence the odd number.

Code:
5.50 kg (84.9 %) Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston) (5.9 EBC)

0.50 kg (7.7 % ) Munich Malt (17.7 EBC)

0.28 kg (4.3 %) Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (118.2 EBC) 

0.20 kg (3.1 %) Caramunich Malt (110.3 EBC)

30.00 g Magnum [14.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min - 41.7 IBUs 

15.00 g Cascade [3.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min - 3.1 IBUs 

15.00 g Cascade [3.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min - 2.0 IBUs 

15.00 g Cascade [3.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min - 1.5 IBUs 

30.00 g Cascade [3.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min - 1.6 IBUs 

30.00 g Cascade [3.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min - 0.0 IBUs 

Est Original Gravity: 1.071

Est Final Gravity: 1.017 SG

Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 7.1 %

Bitterness: 49.9 IBUs

Est Color: 22.5 EBC

At that OG i'd pitch 2 packs. 4 bucks extra to make sure the beer attenuates and has healthy yeast is a small price!

I'm guestimating their AA% at about 3% (I figure I wouldnt have done as well as the commercial growers % wise, and im not really sure if i dried them long enough, so i pulled that figure out of my arse). Either way, it wont matter too much with this recipe as most of the bitterness will come from the magnum, with the cascade later. So it will either be a very nice bitter AIPA, or a very nice EXTRA bitter AIPA if i under-calculated. Ill be happy either way =)
Since you are only using them for flavour and aroma additions - even your recipe/software indicates they are only adding about 10% of your total bitterness, so I don't think it really matters what you estimate the IBUs to be.
Depending on how you chill, I'd be tempted to push the 30min addition to 20mins.
But it looks pretty good - even if it's going to be very strong - you could also throw in some wheat if you have any.

Depending on how you chill, I'd be tempted to push the 30min addition to 20mins.

Yep, im no-chilling so good call. Ill make it 20. the 0min is going into the cube.

if it were me i wouldnt even bother with the 30,15,10,5 additions, i woud throw the lot in the cube or split them between a whirlpool/flamout addition and cube hops. i find personally i get better bang for my bucks this way. also maybe save some for a dry hop to maximise the flavour and aroma potential. at 1071 id be throwing in two packs of yeast for sure.just my 2c ymmv.

if it were me i wouldnt even bother with the 30,15,10,5 additions, i woud throw the lot in the cube or split them between a whirlpool/flamout addition and cube hops. i find personally i get better bang for my bucks this way. also maybe save some for a dry hop to maximise the flavour and aroma potential. at 1071 id be throwing in two packs of yeast for sure.just my 2c ymmv.

Interesting. Is the theory that the different flavours extracted at 30, 15, 10 etc will be hard to detect in a beer this big and hoppy? I have always spread my late® hop additions out along the boil, but come to think of it, i don't really know why i do that. haha.

I'm a big fan of cube hopping. Most of my no-chill beers just have a bittering addition at 60 minutes then the rest goes in the cube. Being hot for a while, it's more like a 15-20 minute addition anyway.

Then if the aroma isn't quite there, you can dry hop as well. If I had any worthwhile yield this year, I'd have done a big arse IPA using a 60 minute pellet addition to get my bitterness up. Then with the home grown hops, throwing 2/3 in the cube* and the other 1/3 as dry hop.

Alas, this year I didn't get much out of my hops. Hopefully next year, with hops in the ground for the first time, I will be able to do exactly this plan.

* - Using whole hops in the cube can be a PITA. When pouring into the fermenter, you may want to strain through a grain bag or similar.

ok gents, you have convinced me. Ill bitter to 50IBU with magnum @ 60 mins and then fistfuls of hops in the cube.

Back