Homebrewing Some Hoegaarden

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When it comes to using Corriander what are you guys using. I have used the root of the plant in my last 3 batches of Wheat and it is awesome. I only used 25g in 600litres. I know the roots & leaves give different flavours, I have never used the seeds. It is easier to find fresh Corriander at 5am where we are!
Cheers
Gerard

Jovial_Monk said:
50/50 means equal amounts of raw wheat and pilsner malt, I would suggest 40/60, especially for a first part mash.

3L/kg seems high to me. I aim for 2L/kg then any additions cold/boiling water to adjust rest temp mean I am not far from 2.5L/Kg. But I like dextrinous/thick beers not dry ones.

Jovial Monk
[post="49348"][/post]​

1.5qts/lb = 3.11L/kg, so 3L/kg is quite normal. 2.8 - 4.5 is the typical range. In terms of protein breakdown, it's good to do step infusion, because you start with a stiff wort, around 2.8L/kg (which promotes protein breakdown) and your infusions dilute it out to around 4L/kg, which obviously gives highly fermentable wort (temperature permitting).

johnno said:
Weizguy said:
Say no more. The memory of your first Hoegaarden will stay with U 4eva. :chug:
[post="49234"][/post]​
Thats for sure Weizguy.
I knew there was a reason I have been avoiding tasting this beer. Coriander.
Am just having a couple tonight and I must say I am not very impressed. The coriander leaves a foul burnt aftertaste, even to my quite jaded pallette. I cant quite put an exact description to it. Sort of like the smell of burning hair.
Anyway to each their own.

cheers
johnno
[post="56515"][/post]​

I'm with you Johnno :D Love the Coriander in my Thai food, but my beer???

Like you said, each to their own ;)

Shawn.

Gough and Johnno,

Not sure if your mixing up the corriander leaf and seeds, but they taste very different. The leaf is bitter, but the seeds give you a nice citrus flavour/aroma.

Also bear in mind that the flavour/aroma contributions of corriander (seed) diminish over time.

It starts out quite noticeable in the flavour (citrusy), though I'd never say overbearing and gradually drops into the background to aid in the beer's complexity. Generally only takes about 3 months to mellow completely.

Haven't had Hoegaarden for a while, however IIRC it's a pretty mild, refreshing beer. Even my wife could tolerate it and she hates beer.

Warren -

Also if you're making a Hoegaarden clone. Don't forget the correct drinking tools. :)

This bad boy holds 500ml and weighs exactly 1 kg.

Makes a great paper weight too. :beer:

Warren -

ICAM0001.JPG

Just as a comparison to give you an idea of it's sheer size. Here it is sitting next to your regular 1 pint nonik. :D

Warren -

ICAM0001.JPG

nice hoe glass warren. Im guessing that you have a coat with very big pockets?

we dont get those glasses anymore in the pubs i go to in sydney as apparently there was some problem with them breaking???

Grunter,

It was not a five-finger discount. I bought it in Brussels. IIRC it cost me about 10 Euros.

Warren -

Nice glass there Warren.

Should have stayed out of this thread, sorry about that. Coriander or no coriander there are beers out there that just aren't for me and Hoegarden is one of them. Tried it a few times now and always struggled to finish it.

Good luck with the brews,

Shawn.

Wreck said:
Gough and Johnno,

Not sure if your mixing up the corriander leaf and seeds, but they taste very different. The leaf is bitter, but the seeds give you a nice citrus flavour/aroma.
[post="56539"][/post]​

Hi Wreck,
I've never known coriander leaf to be bitter. Just an annoying taste.

I must admit that Hoegaarden isn't exactly the benchmark of Wits. Might be the most widely available though.

There certainly are better ones about. Though hard if not impossible to find in Australia.

Dentergems is very, very nice. As is Brugs Tarwebier. Blanche de Chambly is a good one that you can quite often find in Oz if you look hard enough too. It's not Belgian though, it's from Unibroue of Canada.

Better still make your own. You'll be even better off. For the wowsers that don't like corriander just leave it out and try some other spices. Small amounts of cardamom, cumin and assorted peppercorns work well, various citrus zests and/or peels, like lime or mardarin.

Sky's the limit. I aways make a batch to start off any Belgian strains I buy then use the yeastcake for a higher grav. Beglian specialty.

:super: :super: :beer:

Warren -

warrenlw63 said:
I must admit that Hoegaarden isn't exactly the benchmark of Wits. Might be the most widely available though.

There certainly are better ones about. Though hard if not impossible to find in Australia.

Warren -
[post="56605"][/post]​

Warren,

This is sad but true. Hoegaarden was the benchmark for quite a while. Then Interbrew bought it. Celis Wit was the benchmark (Pieree Celis was the original brewer of Hoegaarden).

Is there a benchmark any more? :blink:

BTW, I have purchased Blanche de Bruges at my local Corkers bottlo. I hear that it's the same as Brugs Tarwebier, just alternatively named .

Seth

Think you may be right Seth,

IIRC They're both produced by Alken-Maes.

Warren -

correct, they're the same thing - Belgium has 2 official languages, french and flemish, hence the 2 names.

Thanks for the assist, kat.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, now I'm getting the taste for a wit. S'pose I should brew one, coz I have spent some bucks on beer stuff from Stone recently, and should be taking it easy on beer purchases for a little while. No point "buying trouble", is there?

Seth

G'day all,

I am new to home brewing. Three down in quick succession. None have been in the bottle long enough to try? I am also going to put the same hoegaarden down this weekend, from the brewcrafts recipe list. How did it turn out?

Onya Scott! , that's faith doing a 4th brew before you've tasted your 1st.

Sipping a Hoegaarden now, doing research for the next brew.

It's tough deciding which taste I like

Back