Homebrew Twang

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thank you for the encouragement, I feel better now, will start brewing soon, just waiting on a few additional arrivals.

okie1 said:
I thank you for the encouragement, I feel better now, will start brewing soon, just waiting on a few additional arrivals.
don't give up okie. brewing is a journey. you'll make plenty of mistakes and bad brews, but plenty more amazing ones. in my experience i started with kits and then went to brew in a bag and it was just a fun ride the whole way. read lots and understand the 'why' if something goes wrong, then make incremental adjustments to get it better. it's great fun!

Yep, I concur with above posters too. The most easy to mess up things you have already covered.

See how you like the coppers lager, I had just made it with what came in the box and was fairly unimpressed. You are way ahead already. For your next purchases, if you want to stay with kits, ask around here for suggestions of nice kits and recipes to go. Great bases to tinker on. Like the coopers Canadian blonde is an inexpensive one to add stuff to. Yet other kits get a very good rap too.

okie1 said:
Well, I bought the Coopers DIY Kit, came with Coopers Lager tin that included BE 1 & Coopers drops, I bought Briess DME to add also hops top dry hop and Safale US05 yeast. I have checked my recipe and it looks good. I have a shop refrigerator & have ordered a temp controller, I think that should cover it, but will it make a good beer? Why would it have a homebrew Twang?
Thats great

rehabs_for_quitters said:
compared to commercial mega swill yes I think you'll be pleasantly suprised, you ticked off the majors i.e. yeast and temp control which is a great start,
I used to make kits quite a while back and with a few added bits like you hops and dme yes you can make some bloody good beers that could fool some of the more brew hardy into thinking it was AG,
once you get your controller on the fridge let her rip and as each brew goes by you'll notice improvements, its well worth the journey :)
+ 1 Okie1 your on target. It sounds like you have done your home work ,that recipe will make a nice beer.
Are you bottling? if so just use the good sugar something made for bottle carbing (like your drops )stay away from brown sugar even table sugar.just use the stuff sold for that job.

http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/71800-stupid-things-you-have-done-on-brewday/

have a look at that Okie1 some funny stuff there .

Why would it have a homebrew Twang?
For reasons beyond your control.... maybe. That reason is the goop in the can (excuse the term used by a once infamous poster here). You place a lot of trust in that can but I also dare say also in how that can has been handled since it left the factory. Old or poorly stored cans will produce a darker brew with a far higher propensity toward that dreaded twang.

I see you have already bought dme and hops. If you are doing this then you don't need a kit. You will probably notice a resounding increase in the quality of your beers if you sub that can for dme and boil those hops in it with some water. Of course you need to do a few calculations, but plenty on that in this forum.

Can you describe the TWANG taste? The research i did described a few different flavors. I get a metalic bitter taste to my k&k with quality ingredients and temp control. I get no such twang with fresh wort kits fermented and bottled in the same maner.
PS harden up, you cop plenty of stick on this forum but its cos were all pasionate about brewing

Concur with most the posts here.

Anyone thinking "I'll do some research and I'll nail it first time and that will be the best I can ever do" is being a bit naïve. It's a bit like a really good sports star - they are always working on their game to improve it.

Brewing is a journey, not a destination. Enjoy learning, improving and experimenting. If you get twang, there's research, there's opinions/conjecture. Make up your mind about all the opinions and find what works for you.

SnakeRider said:
Just read this, going to revive as I have done 3 kit beers at 25-30C ferment temp, and done the following experiment on them all...

I bottled 12 330ml bottles, 4 primed with carbonation drops, 4 with caster sugar, and 4 with brown sugar....

my first beer was horrible... rocket fuel... didn't take notes but holy hell, never doing a mangrove jacks blonde again...

my second 2 were identical coopers sparkling ale with a 'cold pack'/brew enhancer fermented at 25-30+C primed the same way.

I just had the first taste of my second batch (at 10 days),
drank a 330 of each carbonation drop, caster sugar, and brown sugar primed bottles... and here is my conclusion for both batches (took notes on the first batch)..

The carbonation drops have a definite twang in comparison to both other priming methods... its terrible, I can even smell the twang.
The caster sugar is slightly better, not as much fruity punch on the tongue, and less smell
and the brown sugar is actually quite enjoyable, but still there is a twang (at 10 days no surprise)

now... before I jumped to this conclusion, on separate days on the last batch I drank them in different orders to eliminate the 'pissed now, its all good, keep em coming' variable off the table. I still came to the same conclusion.

*shrugs* I believe priming medium does make a difference, as a result of this controlled experiment, even though I am a complete novice, I have proven to myself that this is not a myth as stated above.

my 2C :chug:

SR
Good experiment mate. That's what it's all about. Try different things and see what you enjoy best! Personally I find carbing with dextrose gives a bit smoother taste . As stated , fermentation temp is very important and your temps were far too high, in general, for good beer.

Fermenting at high temp produces unwanted types of alcohol and other "off" flavours.

Another thing to try is putting a couple of bottles in the fridge for a few days. Even Ales benefit from lagering.

I use the Coopers cervesa kit for some of my brews as a base, then a few gm of hops, some specialty grains, and a good yeast. Bobs yer uncle.

Don't be down about ya beer. It will get better.

Some of the lads get a tad excited about beer and can be a bit offensive but the majority know their stuff and have good advice to offer ( when their not being miserable, arseholes).

Keep up the good work with your experiments and try not to take shit to personal. It really is a good forum.

Cheers.

Latest posts

Back