Homebrew Twang

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

misfit

Reaction score
My kits are getting better all the time,but they all have that home brew twang.Can the be beaten with kits or not????

Don't get me wrong my beers are more than just drinkable but they still have that mild home brew taste.
Bit more info,I have a brew fridge temp controlled @ 18c,extreme sanatization and all the good stuff.
But it always tastes that tiny bit homebrewish(new word for you all)
Cheers :chug:

My kits are getting better all the time,but they all have that home brew twang.Can the be beaten with kits or not????

Don't get me wrong my beers are more than just drinkable but they still have that mild home brew taste.
Bit more info,I have a brew fridge temp controlled @ 18c,extreme sanatization and all the good stuff.

Try a mini-mash (heaps of info on this site) and a small boil of hops. Download some free software "brewmate" and work out your IBU's and throw away your kit yeast and use a decent yeast at a suitable temp.

P.S. what kits are you brewing??

Replace the Kit Tins and Malt Tins with Dry Malt Extract.

Some have said this removes 'that homebrew taste'.

Some believe it is attributed to the tin, storage in the tin, but there is nothing definitive I could find in my searches for the answer.

From the "Can to the Man" is a quick way to make reasonable beer.

Working from unhopped malt extract is going to require a little more work / time and possibly equipment.
Note: A small step up from this extra work and you are A/G brewing anyway, adios kit twang.

I made i think 2 brews with DME, and they were very nice, can't recall if twang was present. Watch out for boil overs during the boil on the stove in a small pot!! LOL the memories :p, chaos it was.

Cheers,
D80

I got it in kits, kits and bits, extract and partial (although I done one briess all malt brew once and it didnt have it, but the cost is a great deal more) AG none.

It might come out with age and it prob does but with kegs and AG I am usually drinking a beer that was put down 2 weeks ago lol So with kits and extract they prob did not have the time for the flavor to melo or I am super sensitive to it.

I lie I made a coopers euro lager fermented with kit yeast at 12deg for 3 weeks CC for 3 weeks and cant remember how long it was in the bottle but a while and it still is one of the best beers I made to date.

I make beer to drink and that I like but I dont give them the time they need and I will admit it first up but I am drinking it and found styles and process to suit quickest grain to brain turn over lol

This is the kit brew I am drinking at the moment. ie RIGHT NOW

Coopers Pale Ale kit
1 KG LDME
300 gm crystal
Cascade 20gm @ 20 min
Citra 12 gm @ 20 min
Cascade 20 gm @ 0 min
Cascade and Citra 20 gm each dry hopped day 4
US-05 yeast.

Steep crystal in 3 litres 70C water for 30 min. strain into another pot and sparge? with another litre of 70 - 80C water.

Add 300 gm LDME and bring to the boil. Add hops as per recipe. Cool down and add to fermenter with water (some refrigerated) to get 23 litres at about 20C. Pitch rehydrated yeast. Place in brew fridge for 10 - 14 days. Bottle and start enjoying after a week or two.

The hops fade fast so I'd say you could add more late hops than this and maybe a bit more crystal.

Definitely no twang in this.

Hi

Yes, a Fresh Wort Kit.

So quick and easy and no twang.

With an appropriate yeast for the style.

I had some similar issues.

Moving away from the kit yeast helped a lot. US-05 or W34/70 (depending on your style) made a big difference.

I'm yet to steep some grains but using malt extract has also had great results for me. :)

You can hop it out. And the better the kit the less twang. A good slow ferment helps as well. Yeah and ageing for a bit longer.

Extract and its all gone..

Cheers.

Full boil, DME or LME with hop additions and steeped spec grains was the only extract brew I did that had none of the twang. I reckon the full boil was the trick.

this comes up as a question quite often Link to past thread. I get the homebrew twang from all kits and bits no matter what you put in it. The least chance of twang is brewing Fresh Wort Kits.

Not sure what causes it but I think yeast left in the brew has something to do with it. I much prefer Coopers beer if the yeast has not been resuspended.

I can honestly say I have never yet brewed a kits and bits that has been better than any of the Craftbrewers commercial offerings.
If I could get anywhere near something like SN Torpedo I would be more than happy but I doubt it will ever happen even using the correct hops.

Malt extract is really similar in production methods to evaporated / condensed milk and spray dried milk powder, compared to fresh milk. Unfortunately it comes down to that. You can get an approximation of the AG taste but you don't quite get there. Liquid malt extract seems to be the villain, spray dried isn't as bad for the twang, but you always face the same problem. For example if a local Coffee Barista Bar decided to switch to powdered milk and condensed milk in its offerings, how long would they remain in business.

It is possible to brew very palatable beers using M.E. and I recently tried some excellent brews made by Aydos, but they were very hop driven and this plastered over the cracks. Aydos has now gone AG.

Another way of getting you 90% of the way there is to use a very bland kit such as Cerveza or Canadian, and layer it with steeped grains, extra hops and a good yeast.

Good work tropical for posting link. Search and ye shall find

Homebrew = twang or kits = twang is bullshit.
Under par brewers, brewing regiems, bad advice, old ingrediants fine but the location of your brewing ie at home has little to do with tasye. Its ingrediants, methodology and skill. If u know how to brew u can make killer kits.

Gippsland brewery had massive diacytal issues. Common rookie mistake. They are a proper brewery and screwed up for yeats. Being at home has nothing to do with it.

This is an old topic/argument that comes up all the time.

Learn and your brews will blossom. There is lots of info on hete about brewing at all sorts of levels. Have a search and look round and youll find heaps of info. Get a few good brew books as well.

If you're an AG brewer, and have been for a long time, and have got temp control fermenting setups, and highly-refined yeast handing and selection knowledge...

...go get a can of Coopers Lager, 500g of dextrose and 500g of LDME and a pack of US05 and ferment it at 18C.

If you're an AG brewer, and have been for a long time, and have got temp control fermenting setups, and highly-refined yeast handing and selection knowledge...

...go get a can of Coopers Lager, 500g of dextrose and 500g of LDME and a pack of US05 and ferment it at 18C.

Yeah? and?.........

I don't think there's a problem with liquid kits/extract as long as it is say less than 6 months old.

I know what the twang tastes like, I used to make plenty of twangy beer 20 years ago, but I haven't had a problem recently, even when hops aren't covering up any bad tastes.

I'm not saying kits and extract make AG quality beer but I think they make good beer if used properly. There are so many parts of the brewing process to fine tune and practice that there is heaps of room for improvement in the basic brew.

Yeah? and?.........

It doesn't taste like AG beer. Why?

What are the characteristics that differentiate it from your AG beer?

What are the origins of these characters?

Why is it that if you do a mini boil with some hops, and replace the kit can with plain malt extract does it improve significanty?

I've done all this. I'm not trying to change anyone's mind, but I know which ingredient I'm not putting in my beer anymore ... the hopped can of goop.

the other 'twang' people tend to attribute to Kit & Kilo is a result of using lots of table sugar and high brewing temps. results in a cidery, sometimes metalic twang, esp if ingrediants are old.

Thanks for all the comments guys,plenty to think about.Keep them coming but I think it may be time for AG and THANKS to Nick JD for all the info you have posted about easy AG it give all newbies a good starting point to work from.
Cheers

It doesn't taste like AG beer. Why?

What are the characteristics that differentiate it from your AG beer?

What are the origins of these characters?

Why is it that if you do a mini boil with some hops, and replace the kit can with plain malt extract does it improve significanty?

I've done all this. I'm not trying to change anyone's mind, but I know which ingredient I'm not putting in my beer anymore ... the hopped can of goop.

I did the exact same thing about a year ago. I thought, $10 - why the fk not try it again, just to see.

I took 2 mouthfuls, removed the keg from the fridge and tipped it into the gutter.

Back