Homebrew Tragedy Take 2

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Four weeks ago i brewed up a coopers dark IPA, (10min boil with 20g fuggles). It was carbed with 1tsp of dex/300ml bottle.

I Went out to the shed today to get some to chill down for a session tonight.
The weather has been bloody hot an the shead was like a sweathouse.
The first beer i picked out of the crate and put down fell over on its side and exploded. At the time i was crouching over and i got a chunk of glass to the face. Specificly a deep gash between the eyes.

After thanking that id just done a firstaid refresher and we had a proper firstaid kit i ended up at the ER, they glued it closed. No stickes :beerbang: (would have been 2)

On the bright side the beer tasted half decent :lol:

I was extremly luckey and the
Lesson learned for the day, WEAR GLASSES WHEN HANDELING HOT BOTTLES!

uploadfromtaptalk1387519743265.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1387519799613.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1387519834045.jpg

Go and buy a lottery ticket mate, bloody lucky to have not lost an eye

I have a scar about 1/4'' away from my right eye after dropping a warm tallie and having a shard of glass lodge itself deep enough for me to pull with enough force to remove it.

Oh wow,thats bloody lucky!

Jeeebus! Dude, lucky stuff, all the best!

Thanks for posting, hopefully it will bring some attention to the dangers of bottling in glass and treating them with absolute respect.

Cheers

1 tsp per 300 mL sounds like a lot, especially if it was slightly heaped.
Get some tough gloves and some eye protection and wrap them individually in glad wrap. Then chill as many as you can.
Any idea how much your tsp worth of dex might weigh?

Bulk prime with the correct amount, bottle in PET or keg. They're the obvious ways of preventing this from happening again. Measures like 1 tsp of sugar are sketchy at best. mate. Glad you weren't seriously hurt in the end.

This is one of the reasons I went to kegs. Having an eye injury in the past (not from beer explosions), I look after the other one like its my last, well, eye. Bottles were always a concern for me due to the many variables.

I don't beleve in luck as such so I'll say you crouch well at the right angle at the right time :)

I used about 1tsp per 750ml bottle, so sounds like you have double what you need. Make sure you treat the remainders with care.

The first time i bottled i used this piticular spoon with a set of scales to check the weight and it was correct.
However i do think you may be right in that it was heaped.

I also think that the 40DegC shed diddnt help. :/
I will be waiting until the next cold front and then yes wrap them throughly in gladwap.

Thanks mate!

In the interim, chuck a thick blanket over them too. That way if they explode the shrapnel will be a little more contained.

Latest posts

Back