Homebrew Gear on the 3D Printer?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r055c0

Reaction score
The guys in the lab at my office have managed to convince the bosses that they need a 3D printer which may be available for use by smooth talkers bearing coffee. This raises the question, what nifty homebrew gear should I print out?

What materials does it print in?

It prints using some sort of resin, may not be food safe so this discussion could be entirely theoretical, will see if I can get more info on exactly what it uses.

Hose Fittings?

Barbed, 1/2inch, male or female thread, 3/8 etc etc.... :D

Weve got one at work. The material isnt all that strong. You could make tap handles, coasters for glasses, thats about all i can think of.

Checkout www.thingiverse.com for plans.

phoneyhuh said:
Weve got one at work. The material isnt all that strong. You could make tap handles, coasters for glasses, thats about all i can think of.

Checkout www.thingiverse.com for plans.
So the video of the guy printing that shifter on YouTube is a crock of b/s then?? Was impressive to think it had enough strength for the task!

DJ_L3ThAL said:
So the video of the guy printing that shifter on YouTube is a crock of b/s then?? Was impressive to think it had enough strength for the task!
Ease up

3D printers can print using a variety of materials. Some use resin or wax. Some can print in plastics and even metals

Done make dumbass comments untill you understand what is used by the printer

Ducatiboy stu said:
Ease up

3D printers can print using a variety of materials. Some use resin or wax. Some can print in plastics and even metals

Done make dumbass comments untill you understand what is used by the printer
I'm guessing your idea of dumb-ass may be a little warped, but the video I saw was based on a plastic resin which wouldn't have been fit for purpose as a shifter. Sure now they have the technology to print in metals which as you stated would be all good. But given this is a discussion forum, I don't think there is a need to ease up :beer:

DJ_L3ThAL said:
Probably not. As Stu says you can probably get different grades of the raw material. Now as I mentioned, what we have at work seems to be a lightweight plastic and it isn't that strong. If you can get the stronger stuff then it might be good. I'll speak to the chap who runs the thing to find out more....

Actually, take a look at this: http://www.thingiverse.com/search/page:6?q=beer&sa=

Well NASA have recently 3D printed a jet engine.

Though I doubt they did it with a makerbot.

scon said:
Well NASA have recently 3D printed a jet engine.

Though I doubt they did it with a makerbot.

They should have started with o-rings :ph34r:

Mr Wibble said:
Is anyone going to get that that joke?
I thought I did, but maybe I got it wrong.
I think you got the Challenger reference right

phoneyhuh said:
Probably not. As Stu says you can probably get different grades of the raw material. Now as I mentioned, what we have at work seems to be a lightweight plastic and it isn't that strong. If you can get the stronger stuff then it might be good. I'll speak to the chap who runs the thing to find out more....
Actually, take a look at this: http://www.thingiverse.com/search/page:6?q=beer&sa=
I like the idea of the crates - make them perfectly sized for whatever your bottles are!

Latest posts

Back