homebrew farting

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gazzarobbo

Reaction score
Hi team,

Been brewing for about 6 months now, love the freshness of the beer but my lady hates the freshness of the gas. I carb drop the bottles and condition them upright and avoid pouring any trub from the bottle into the glass yet there is a peculiar musk that does occur from the back end every so often.

Does homebrew do this?

Cheers,
Gaz

Yep, got to love being able to clear a room at will, use it to your advantage mate.

There isn't much you can do unless you want to filter/pasteurise to kill off the live yeast.

how long are you keeping your beers refrigerated for? i usually bottle my ales, leave them for about 4ish weeks carbonating, then pop them into the fridge. leave them untouched (if you can) for a week and then they're as clear as anything when decanted into a glass. i don't think that would get rid of your issue but it might lessen it a bit.

Yeasty farts are bad. Yeasty shits are worse. Just sayin'. :icon_vomit:

Doesn't she fart?

They all do you know, it is a normal bodily function.

Try to sleep with the window open. :) :)

Per my doc, on average women's farts are worse than mens's as women's farts have a higher concentration of sulphur. So your HB farts are just redressing the balance.

Beer has been blamed over the years for many things that it just downright is not responsible for. Farting being one of them. Most gas is caused by what the good lady wife feeds us. Now, if she's read the latest cleansing diet manual, she'll understand that wind can be lessened by several drams of a good quality whisky post meal, with the addition of kama-sutran exercises and silence, most symtoms of wind can be alleviated. Caring woman that she is.

Back