Home Made Headmaster Glasses?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all,
It doesn't matter whether you add grains of rice, etch the glass, add ice or rusty nails. All you are doing is increasing the number of points (bubble nucleation sites)where bubbles will form.
There is only so much CO2 in solution in each glass so if the bubbles of CO2 leave solution at a faster rate to build on the head the beer gets flater faster.
Building a beer that has a better head is a wiser option or pour your beer from a height to get a good head then drink quickly before it goes flat
Chris

TasChris

The problem I have is that I a good beer glass (ie, I like it), that will not bubble at all. Its twin brother glass is fine. The beer has plenty of carbonation and the head lasts for the entire beer (we are talking about english pints here as well)

I think dicko's suggestion is the way to fix that one glass.

Cheers
Pedro

I can't see why an improvement in the glass is not a positive step , I don't have a problem with a head on my beers most of the time , first couple from the keg can be a little flat sometimes.
I am willing to try etching a glass just for the experience of trying it.
All feed back on this fourm is good.

SOS
Have you tried washing your glass in bi-carb , then rinsing in a weak vinegar and water , then rinse again and air dry

Batz

I own a few Headmaster schooners, yes the head is excellent from them and yes I'm sure you could do it with an engraver, sandpaper, etc, though I don't think I would.
I also have some other non-nucleated glasses... if the glasses are clean and shine like crystal, and your beer is good, you get nice, fluffy, creamy head on anything, all the way to the bottom... it doesn't have to be nucleated at all.
I think the Headmaster glasses were developed for consistency in presentation... sometimes kegs would not produce the head that they anticipated, and the headmaster gave it that nice wad of head so that the customer appreciates it.
Just my 2c...

I made some the other day with some cheapo Scooner glasses that I bought from the Warehouse (Clints) GOt the ole dremmel out and an etching piece, It took me 2 mins per glass to roughen up the bottom quite nicely,, I have to admit the beer Works a hell of alot more. And it keeps the head up there because of the extra co2 being released.

How much did you buy the schooner glasses for in the first place?

I bought a few headmaster glasses the other day for about $1.60 each. Pretty cheap if you ask me.

Well I took to glass the other day with an engraver and it worked OK but doesn't have enough sideways movement to make much of a mark. (Was a lot of work for not much result). I think cause the tip is designed to be used at an angle like a pen and not vertically.

Definite improvement in the head on the beer though and I might do a couple more when I get the chance.

Rich

rich,
were you using the diamond tip engraving bit..?
i used to work in a lab and engraving was often needed... the standard metal tip bits often didnt work.
the diamond tip ones from memory were rounded which allowed engraving at any angle.

Mine has a round head much like ummm
*Looks around computer room*
The pin on the inside of an RCA cable

No mine is not rounded it has a bit of a point and has slanted grooves in the side like a drill bit.
Looke like if you hold it at a bit of an angle the glroove cut away at the surface. Vertically they don;t do much.

Jino,

Where did you buy the Headmaster glasses from?

Somewhere in Newcastle?

Would love to get my hands on a couple (without "borrowing" them from my local).

Jez

Howdy Jez,

Well they are actualy "headstart" glasses but they are exactly the same thing and also used by pubs and clubs. I got them from Adamstown Kitchen and Cutlery here in Newcastle. Tehy were $1.95 each but they said something about being on sale so they ended up at about $1.60 each. The only thing i didn't like that much was that they are the "fatter" schooner glasses not the taller ones that i prefer but i don't mind all that much.

I'm sure there would be a place similar in Sydney they supplies restaurants and the like they should sell them. If not i'm sure you can get them to you from Adamstown K&C.

Back