Home Brewing Now Legal

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QIK86

Reaction score
Just found this article in an old local newspaper. Found it quite interesting and thought others might like to see it.

A piece of home brewing history.

Published in the Maryborough Chronicle on Wednesday, 21st February, 1973.

2nhl3d4.jpg

Nice one QIK86

There's been a few discussions in the recent past about claims that the Whitlam government legalised Homebrewing, but no one could find any references using the internet thingy.

You should save that for the next time the topic cycles.

cheers

Grant

I liked the bit about "beer brewed above 1.15% alcohol". They must have had the old Swan Light in mind when they thought of that figure. :)

stagalee.

thanks for that. gave me a chuckle.

1.15% alcohol!
There's plenty of desserts and chocolates on the market stronger than that!

I liked the bit about "beer brewed above 1.15% alcohol". They must have had the old Swan Light in mind when they thought of that figure. smile.gif

Interestinly the law had to be changed (again in the 70's) to allow the production of low-alcohol beer, as the Food Standards (I think) defined beer as being greater than a certain % ABV, thus for the infamous Tooths LA (weighing in at 2.2% by memory) to be sold, the law had to be changed.

K

Swan Light wasn't too bad actually if you were looking for an alternative to Cola. I used to drink it when we went to the drive in Movies and it sort of reminded me of beer. There was also a light beer from a company called "Nothern Brewers" from Lismore or thereabouts.

The only survivor of those near beers is Coopers Birrell. In the UK Guinness make one called "Kaliber Lager" which is in the same category.

Personally I reckon that XXXX Gold is currently holding the torch as the beverage that is drunk by men who like the idea of beer drinking but don't actually like beer. ;)

OT, but I must get this off my chest....

Personally I reckon that XXXX Gold is currently holding the torch as the beverage that is drunk by men who like the idea of beer drinking but don't actually like beer. ;)

Well step aside gold, at the bottlo this afternoon I was approached by a rep wearing a pure blonde shirt, "Would you like to try our new beer"
"Eeeerrrr, no thanks.."
"Well, its new and its not a lager. Its an ale and its mid-strength!"
"Eeeerrrr, no thanks...."

Don't want to encourage a new megaswill beat-up, but I feel a lot better now.

Swan Light wasn't too bad actually if you were looking for an alternative to Cola. I used to drink it when we went to the drive in Movies and it sort of reminded me of beer. There was also a light beer from a company called "Nothern Brewers" from Lismore or thereabouts.

The only survivor of those near beers is Coopers Birrell. In the UK Guinness make one called "Kaliber Lager" which is in the same category.

Ahhhh XXXXGold , the memories
Memories of foul beer that seemed to oooze out of our pores the next day when shearing. ick
Memories of shearing. ouch ahh oooh
Memories of life in the huts at night after shearing :icon_chickcheers: :icon_drunk: :icon_vomit:

I love that image for it's significant historical info about the change to Home Brewing and a reminder of how newspapers used to be printed - by "type setting" individual letters, numbers and characters! I remember visiting Fairfax newspaper factory as a school kid and they did it that way in the 1970's.

Good find!

Latest posts

Back