Home brew bottled a month !

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Troy294

Reaction score
Hi guys . I have done two brews one after the other and not different colour.
My first one was coopers lager with us 05 yeast at an average temp of 18 degrees but some days it's was about 16 when we had a cold snap . Hydrometer reading was right to bottle after approx 8 days , I bottled it and its CLEAR as yet it looks like there is sentiment still swirling around a little and doesn't seem like much gas . What does that mean ????
Yet my second brew was exactly the same way with an average temp of about 20 degrees and its alot darker . Yet after being bottled for 3 weeks taste alot better then the first batch .... Confused ...

Did you check you hydro reading each day for 3 days to make sure it wasnt dropping any further? And was it at 16C over this period? The yeast may have slowed right down and you risk bottle bombs.

Sediment in the bottle is normal and will drop out if you chill them for a few days.
When you say not much gas do you mean when you pour it into a glass it doesnt seem carbonated?
How long have you had it bottled for?
How much priming sugar did you use and what method?
How big is the bottle?

The second batch carbed quicker because your temperatures were warmer. The first batch will get there too eventually. Have you tried a sample from both now?

Only reason I can think of the first one being clearer is that the yeast dropped out more as it was colder. Im guessing you dont Cold Crash?

It was 16 for about two das but normally around 18-22 the first batch . It's been bottles about 4 weeks now I use carb drops and 750 ml plastic bottles and a few 375 ml glass bottles . When ya twist the top it doesn't sound to gassy but it does have good head . I don't normally use hydrometer but it was on 1.010 or what ever it was it was 9 days before I bottled it .
I have tried a sample from both and the first batch is slowly coming around now . It's taking a while for sediment to settle at the bottwm it's still floating around .

It all takes time. I brewed 2 batches of Coopers Canadian Blonde within half an hour of each other recently. One was finished in 6 days the other took 8 not sure why but I bottled both with a measure of white sugar on the same day and both batches are crystal clear with a little sediment in the bottom of the bottle.

Back