Home Brew A Hit At Birthday Party

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caleb

Reaction score
A few weekends ago (14th to be exact) I hosted my birthday party - just a small gathering of friends to celebrate.

Of course, I made sure to supply plenty of home brew. I had a 5L mini-keg of my "Choc full o' Fuggles" amber ale, which is very similar to James Squire, plus some bottled wheat beer, raspberry beer and even a 10% barley wine. To satisfy anyone who'd want a "normal" beer I also had another 5L keg of Konig Pilsener, plus we had a jug of home made sangria, and some champagne.
The home brew turned out to be a BIG HIT! :beer:
The 5L mini-keg of home-brew amber ale was emptied that night, to many positive comments. The keg of commercial lager actually remained unopened, despite me offering several times to tap it. Raspberry beer was also popular, and one girl drank almost a whole bottle of barley wine herself, despite it not really being ready yet.

There was quite a bit of interest in home brewing generated, and many questions about how I did it, recipes, etc.

Of course, people did bring some beer of their own, and some was drunk - but probably only half. (The rest is STILL in the laundry...) Some confessed that they were only drinking their own mega-swill because they felt bad about drinking all of my beer. One guy even said his mega-swill "smelt like sh!+" after drinking the home brew... Also, a sign my brother's taste is improving is that he turned up with a pack of Murray's Pale Ale! (A year ago it would have been New or Cold). The education is paying off!

:super:

Well done Caleb, nothing like praise from non HB friends for your own HB. Keep working on them mate :beerbang:

cheers

Browndog

Top stuff Caleb. :beerbang:
It's a great fealing isn't it - people prefering your beer to the commercial stuff.
The down-side... You're now stuck with a couple of slabs of commercial beer.
The upside... You now have an excuse to brew a lot more to cater future parties :party:

yep, go down to the bottlo on friday evening and sell the slabs to the underage kids milling around the corner to fund your next bash!! ;)

Thanks Caleb for contributing to educating the masses :lol:

Screwy

speaking of murrays pale ale. i'm off there in 2 hours for lunch and beers for a friends b'day. Going to be great. Desert up there = mudcake + wild thing imperial stout!!

There was quite a bit of interest in home brewing generated, and many questions about how I did it, recipes, etc.

Some confessed that they were only drinking their own mega-swill because they felt bad about drinking all of my beer.
Also, a sign my brother's taste is improving is that he turned up with a pack of Murray's Pale Ale! (A year ago it would have been New or Cold). The education is paying off!

:super:

Good for you and good for all HBers. Feels great doesnt it? :beer:

Thats the way to do it Caleb! Get the masses interested in homebrew and good beer in general.

Over the years i've managed to convert a number of mates, and now they pretty much expect me to rock up at house parties with something different for them to 'sample'. :rolleyes:

Top work there Caleb,

It is a good feeling when non-homebrewers drink your beer and enjoy it.

We hosted my wife's 30th recently and i had keg of honey wheat on tap (and an APA as backup). Also threw some CPA and CSA (plus some lights) into the esky to satisfy those who had an aversion to home brew.

By the end of the afternoon, Honey wheat keg was gone, APA about 1/3 drunk and only 1 stubby of commerical (+ 2 lights but they don't count as some people need to be responsible/DD).

Was absolutely rapt with the reception the HB got. keep up the good work.

:icon_cheers: SJ

speaking of murrays pale ale. i'm off there in 2 hours for lunch and beers for a friends b'day. Going to be great. Desert up there = mudcake + wild thing imperial stout!!
Leeboy,

Ring ahead mate.

I went there on Monday and a few of the kegs were empty due to "flooding in Kemsey etc".... presumably they get there beer from tailors arms by road.

Also, I had the 2nd last Wild Thing they had left.

Hopefully, for your sake they have been re-stocked.

Cheers,

PB

PS the 2IPA and Imperial stout were excellent

Latest posts

Back