Home Brand Cans (Woolworths)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,
I’m a new to brewing and using a kit brewer. Could I asked when do you add the LDM. Do I need to steed it or just add it in. Also I can only find a 11g us-05 do I add it all in?
Thanks in advance
Just follow the directions on the can, add sugars in hot water with wort kit, stir well top up with cold water, pitch yeast. Follow the directions on the can!!

Hi col_bol, add the LDM with the can and use 2 litresor so of hot water to mix together in the fermenter top up with cold water and if temperature is within range use all 11gms of the us-05.

Hi col_bol, add the LDM with the can and use 2 litresor so of hot water to mix together in the fermenter top up with cold water and if temperature is within range use all 11gms of the us-05.
Awesome. Thank you Paddy. One last question do I need to crush the Carapils if the grain is cracked? Also if I buy it cracked the website asks if I like it seperate. Sorry In advance for the noobie questions

Crack and crush is the same in my book. You don't need to process it further. You will need to steep it, that is to soak it in about a litre of 70ºC water for about half an hour, then drain off the liquid. You boil the liquid for about 10 minutes or so to sterilise it (well, really sanitise, but let's not argue semantics). Cool it, then add it to the fermenter, or just add it to the fermenter, as the cold water you add will help cool things down.
If your grains are all specialty grains, like Cara and Caramel, then they can all be added together, so you can follow the steeping process all in one hit.
Base malts, which you will not use with a kit, need mashing so need to be separate.
Only add the yeast at the end when you have mixed all your ingredients, and follow the instructions on the pack or on the producer's website.

As philrob said above.
You can pimp up Kits and I think that's what you're trying to do, or just add kit goop and a sugar base; eg dextrose or DME or LME or a premixed addition like coopers brew enhancers #1,2 or 3. There are hundreds of combinations of additions and plenty of info in the kits and extract forum (under forums above).

Latest posts

Back