Home Brand Cans (Woolworths)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alburke90

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have been brewing for about 1.5 years now and have recently tried using a Woolworths Home Brand can (draught to be exact).

This recipe turned out super good (my neighbours say that it should be commercially made, and I think it is the best beer I have made yet).

Here you go!

Draught Home Brand Can (Woolworths)
30 gs Galaxy
30 gs Cascade (both steeped for like 15 mins in a hop sock from HBS) in around 500mls of hot water
1 kg Light Dry Malt
S05 yeast
Carapils grain

Turned out like a Hoegaarden/Stone and wood pacific ale.

easy to drink, full of fruity flavours.

Definately give it a try. Also, for 9 bucks a can, you cant go wrong.

I also just put down a beer with the same recipe, but used pride of ringwood (30gs steeped for 15 mins, and I plan on dry hopping the rest of the 30 gs).

Will let you know how that goes, I am excited to try it!

I have recently done a Woolies Home Brand Lager as a lager, used 34/70 and dry hopped with Galaxy. The boys and mates are asking for more.

Hello, How do you use the Carapils grains? Are they steeped with the hops?
Thanks,
Andrew.

herman4x4 said:
How do you use the Carapils grains? Are they steeped with the hops?
Easy way: steep the grains in ~65° water for half an hour. Strain and rinse them with more hot water, capturing that as well. Boil the whole lot for a few mins to kill any nasties, then add straight to your fermenter. Personally, I do a cold steep in the fridge overnight. I don't use the pre-hopped kits very much so I usually have to do a full hour boil with my hops and I just add the steeped grain liquid to that boil.

TehCrucible said:
Easy way: steep the grains in ~65° water for half an hour. Strain and rinse them with more hot water, capturing that as well. Boil the whole lot for a few mins to kill any nasties, then add straight to your fermenter. Personally, I do a cold steep in the fridge overnight. I don't use the pre-hopped kits very much so I usually have to do a full hour boil with my hops and I just add the steeped grain liquid to that boil.
Don't forget to crush the grains first.

Feldon said:
Don't forget to crush the grains first.
Haha great point! I get them crushed for me at the store and didn't even think about it.

alburke90 said:
30 gs Galaxy
30 gs Cascade (both steeped for like 15 mins in a hop sock from HBS) in around 500mls of hot water

I also just put down a beer with the same recipe, but used pride of ringwood (30gs steeped for 15 mins, and I plan on dry hopping the rest of the 30 gs).
Note that Cascade and Galaxy are very flavoursome hops well suited as flavour additions. I love Cascade. Pride of Ringwood on the other hand is rarely (if ever) used as a flavouring hop commercially and will produce a very different beer more steered towards a lager. Don't expect a similar beer.
A good idea if you're adding LDM already to your recipe is to add 100g of it to 1 litre of water and boil on the stove for 15 mins. Turn off heat, THEN add your hops to that liquid for 15 mins before putting in your fermenter (try to keep the hops out of the fermenter). You'll get much more balanced and pronounced flavours that way.

Good to hear you're enjoying the cheap tins, I always wondered who bought them :p

How much grains? I have not used them before, so its new to me. Thanks for tip on getting crushed.

250g-300g Carapils for a 23L batch is pretty standard. Will give more head retention and a 'thicker' mouth feel to the beer.

Hi Guys,

I have been brewing for about 1.5 years now and have recently tried using a Woolworths Home Brand can (draught to be exact).

This recipe turned out super good (my neighbours say that it should be commercially made, and I think it is the best beer I have made yet).

Here you go!

Draught Home Brand Can (Woolworths)
30 gs Galaxy
1 kg Light Dry Malt
S05 yeast
Carapils grain

I know it's an old post but thinking of making this exact recipe, do you think I could use
2 wollies cans instead of 1 can + LDME?

Wouldn't the same apply to any 2 can (toucan) fermentation and plenty of people do it. I haven't myself but just sayin'. Sweetness added to beer is a new one for me. Adding fermentable sugar wont provide sweetness. Presumably it will be converted to increased ABV and CO2. I used to make sweet Cider and to do that I needed to add Lactose (unfermentable sugar) otherwise you end up with a dry Cider.

I haven't seen cans of Woolies Home Brand Lager anywhere recently but I have seen the Draught in Big W. My local WW and Coles do not stock any HB supplies at all but the next Coles, not far away, does have limited supply of Coopers in Lager and Draught only for $13.85 a can.

Online shopping says that another close Woolies has the Lager in stock but I've not seen it when I go there. I'm going to try to order a few cans online just so I can satisfy my curiosity and see how it turns out with a good yeast.

Wouldn't the same apply to any 2 can (toucan) fermentation and plenty of people do it. I haven't myself but just sayin'. Sweetness added to beer is a new one for me. Adding fermentable sugar wont provide sweetness. Presumably it will be converted to increased ABV and CO2. I used to make sweet Cider and to do that I needed to add Lactose (unfermentable sugar) otherwise you end up with a dry Cider.

I haven't seen cans of Woolies Home Brand Lager anywhere recently but I have seen the Draught in Big W. My local WW and Coles do not stock any HB supplies at all but the next Coles, not far away, does have limited supply of Coopers in Lager and Draught only for $13.85 a can.

Online shopping says that another close Woolies has the Lager in stock but I've not seen it when I go there. I'm going to try to order a few cans online just so I can satisfy my curiosity and see how it turns out with a good yeast.

Dan Murphy also stock Coopers kits.

Maybe see if you can still get them, my local doesnt stock any homebrew stuff anymore.

My local woolies has just started to stock HB stuff, only small stuff like cans, coopers brew sugars and crown seals, it's not much but it is something.

Hi,
I’m a new to brewing and using a kit brewer. Could I asked when do you add the LDM. Do I need to steed it or just add it in. Also I can only find a 11g us-05 do I add it all in?
Thanks in advance

Latest posts

Back