Holgate Esb Any Idea's On A Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rustyc30

Reaction score
Hi Guys

Had this when I was in Melbourne last month and love it and want to try to brew some thing close. Had a look at the site and this is what thay has for the beer

"Give Me More Hops! The Holgate Extra Special Bitter is steeped in tradition - a hand-pumped naturally conditioned Real Ale, follows the English brewers tradition of denoting "Extra Special" beers as having a higher alcohol than a "Mild", with rich and complex malt additions and highly bittered with English hops. The Holgate version combines a special blend of crystal and roast malts and generous additions of English Fuggles and Goldings hops to create a very "moreish" Ale rich in flavour.

Naturally carbonated through a secondary fermentation in kegs and bottles, this beer contains a light yeast sediment - which is your guarantee of a Real Ale with real flavour! Served through traditional beer engine at Holgate Brewhouse, this beer is a great accompaniment with full flavoured dishes - beef, game, duck."

My first thoughts are somthing along the lines of

Marris Otter
Med Crystal
Choc malt or
Roast Barley

EKG and Fuggles at 60min 20min and 0min

does anyone have an Idea of what the Ibu's and EBC's would be for this beer

It's 5% abv so thinking the OG should be around 1.052

any need to find out what yeast was thinking 1968 or 1098 or do you think that being an aussie micro it's likely to be s-04

any help would be great

cheers

rusty

Come on someone must have some idea's on this beer this is what I have so fare

21l Batch 75% Eff

Grain Bill

MO 4.5kg
Med Crystal .35kg
Black Malt 0.07

Hops

20g Fuggles
20g EKG
20g Fuggles
20g EKG
15g fuggles
15g EKG

Yeast

1098/1968/S-04 not sure which one

Butters???

I recently did an ESB, cant quite remember the recipe, but I did use Cara Aroma, which is good, id probably suggest some brown malt, and stick with the MO... Dont add any black malt or roast barley IMO...

Hops, I dry hopped 20g of Styrian Goldings in my one, and had Goldings/Fuggles combos throughout the boil...

And yeast, I would go with 1968 for more of a flavour profile than S-04

My $0.02, but Butters is more likely to give you a better response...

Lurking on this one sorry... Its an awesome beer and I'd love to build one too.

I noticed there is a hint on the bottle about 'specialty grains yielding a copper sheen' or something like that. I'm still a novice on grain characteristics; but do your grains lend some reddish/copper colour?

Cheers

Breezy

Here's a copy of Fullers ESB. Rates as one of the best ESB in the world. It won't be the same as the beer you want but should give you some ideas.

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Fullers ESB
Brewer:
Asst Brewer:
Style: Strong Bitter/English Pale Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 43.53 L
Boil Size: 50.66 L
Estimated OG: 1.054 SG
Estimated Color: 28.4 EBC
Estimated IBU: 31.3 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80.00 %
Boil Time: 70 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
4.31 kg Pale Malt(2-row) (5.9 EBC) Grain 45.27 %
2.27 kg Munich Malt (11.8 EBC) Grain 23.84 %
0.91 kg Flaked Corn (Maize) (0.0 EBC) Grain 9.56 %
0.45 kg Cara-Pils Dextrine Malt (3.9 EBC) Grain 4.73 %
0.45 kg CaraMunich Malt (147.8 EBC) Grain 4.73 %
0.45 kg CaraVienne Malt (41.4 EBC) Grain 4.73 %
0.45 kg Crystal 120L (234.4 EBC) Grain 4.73 %
0.23 kg Crystal 80L (157.6 EBC) Grain 2.42 %
28.35 gm Wye Target [8.80 %] (60 min) Hops 13.6 IBU
28.35 gm Wye Challenger [8.20 %] (40 min) Hops 11.1 IBU
28.35 gm Wye Northdown [8.00 %] (15 min) Hops 6.1 IBU
28.35 gm Goldings - E.K. [6.40 %] (1 min) Hops 0.4 IBU
28.35 gm Goldings - E.K. [6.40 %] (0 min) Hops -
0.00 L Burton On Trent Water
1 Pkgs DCL Safale S04 Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Step
Total Grain Weight: 9.52 kg
----------------------------
Single Step
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Conversion step Add 62.60 L of water at 71.9 C 68.0 C
20 min Mash out Heat to 77.0 C over 2 min 77.0 C

Notes:
------

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yep, I couldn't find it either.

I used Biscuit Malt at 40 EBC.

On the weekend I tasted holgates ESB. Its actually quite differant to their old ESB. I could almost put my hand on my heart and say there is a far whack of challanger hops now and a little more up front crystal malt. not overly balanced but ok. certainly very differant to the hargreaves esb

I know this is an old post, but I had a bottle of the ESB last night and it was very nice. Nice colour, bitterness and floral, fruity hoppiness.
Just checked on their website and the list the hops and a couple of malts:

"Give Me More Hops! The Holgate Extra Special Bitter is steeped in tradition - a hand-pumped naturally conditioned Real Ale, follows the English brewers tradition of denoting "Extra Special" beers as having a higher alcohol than a "Mild", with rich and complex malt additions and highly bittered with English hops. The Holgate version combines a special blend of crystal and roast malts and generous additions of English Fuggles and Goldings hops to create a very "moreish" Ale rich in flavour.

Naturally carbonated through a secondary fermentation in kegs and bottles, this beer contains a light yeast sediment - which is your guarantee of a Real Ale with real flavour! Served through traditional beer engine at Holgate Brewhouse, this beer is a great accompaniment with full flavoured dishes - beef, game, duck."

http://www.holgatebrewhouse.com/esb.html

Has anyone got any developments on this? Had it last night, and the malt was amazing. Really rich toffee and caramel taste.
Would love to even get something close to the malt profile.

Has anyone got any developments on this? Had it last night, and the malt was amazing. Really rich toffee and caramel taste.
Would love to even get something close to the malt profile.

I agree, i really enjoy the malt in this one as well.

I revisited this beer again just the other day & was completely inspired to brew something as similar as possible.
Have you lads had any luck with a grain bill that brought you close?

Guess no one is keen to clone this one ay? Would make a RIPPER christmas beer...

Current website states:

Paul Holgate's northern English heritage finds a spirited expression in this deep amber bitter. Served on a traditional beer engine at the Hotel and tap room in Woodend, the ESB offers depth and complexity that makes it at once challenging and eminently drinkable. One of the two recipes that launched the Brewhouse in 1999, it includes English crystal and roast malts, an abundance of East Kent Goldings hops and is enhanced through dry hopping with a touch of Aussie Galaxy. Oh so moreish.

Softly carbonated and served through traditional Beer Engine at 8-10 Deg C at Holgate Brewhouse, this beer is a great accompaniment with full flavoured dishes – beef, game, duck.

ABV5.0% OG1.046 IBU40 EBC20

Ill take a stab at something like this:
Mash at 63C for 90 min, mash out 78C. 60 min boil.

esb.jpg

I do a lot of ESBs, some being more obviously malt forward than others, but they are all more "earthy" than "fruity" with the fuggles and EKG etc. Certainly never tried one using galaxy. I'll track down one of my faves and see if it's any use as a starting point for you to tart up a bit.

Perhaps you could sub EKG for the Bramling Cross (to give it a fruity lift), but I've no idea how galaxy might go as a dry hop. And I've also done very similar ones with various combinations of MO, Golden Promise and Pearl and they all turn out very nicely (IMHO).

Anyway, it might be of some use. Cheers

Recipe: Extra Pale ESB
Style: Extra Special/Strong Bitter (English Pale Ale)
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: Rather typical ESB. Characteristic medium body but grain bill provides for a colour in the low end of the style range. Aroma and "earthy" flavour are typical of the Bramling Cross and Fuggles hops, though the bitterness seems a little higher than the predicted 35 IBU.

It is expected this will drink well from mid to late December '15 to at least Mar-Apr '16.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 58.00 l
Post Boil Volume: 52.00 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 50.00 l
Bottling Volume: 48.00 l
Estimated OG: 1.053 SG
Estimated Color: 12.1 EBC
Estimated IBU: 35.4 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 86.4 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
7.00 kg Pale Ale Malt (Muntons) (5.9 EBC) Grain 1 64.2 %
2.50 kg Pilsner (Weyermann) (3.3 EBC) Grain 2 22.9 %
0.50 kg Carahell (25.0 EBC) Grain 3 4.6 %
0.50 kg Carared (50.0 EBC) Grain 4 4.6 %
0.20 kg Acidulated (Weyermann) (3.5 EBC) Grain 5 1.8 %
0.20 kg Melanoidin (Weyermann) (59.1 EBC) Grain 6 1.8 %
35.00 g Ella (aka Stella) [14.30 %] - Boil 60.0 Hop 7 23.7 IBUs
35.00 g Fuggles [5.10 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 8 6.5 IBUs
9.00 g Brewbrite (Boil 10.0 mins) Fining 9 -
40.00 g Bramling Cross [5.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 10 3.4 IBUs
1.00 Items Copper Chiller Coil (Boil 10.0 mins) Other 11 -
0.50 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 10.0 mins) Other 12 -
30.00 g Fuggles [5.10 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 15.0 Hop 13 1.8 IBUs
1.0 pkg British Ale (White Labs #WLP005) [35.49 Yeast 14 -

Mash Schedule: Double Infusion, Medium Body
Total Grain Weight: 10.90 kg
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Protein Rest Add 17.96 l of water at 62.6 C 55.0 C 15 min
Saccharification Add 8.48 l of water at 97.1 C 66.7 C 45 min
Mash Out Add 11.97 l of water at 98.3 C 75.6 C 10 min

Sparge: Fly sparge with 32.01 l water at 75.6 C

Notes:
------
It was hoped that a 60 min boil of Ella (aka Stella) would still leave a trace of fruitiness to match the English earthiness of Fuggles and Bramling Cross. Unfortunately, no remaining flavours are noticeable with it leaving just a clean bitterness.

Perhaps replacing the 60 min addition with Target and a small 20-30 min addition of Ella (around 15 grams) should be considered.

I just had a holgate ESB and despite the tasting notes of it being dry hopped with galaxy, id say the closest galaxy got to the brewing process was on a truck that went past holgate on its way to brewery that actually used it.

I spent a day at holgate and loved the ESB. I get a bit over the beer engine pour, but loved my takeaways. I thought it had a dose of challenger in it.

I get up to Holgates quite regularly and the ESB is probably one of the best beers you can get in Victoria if not Australia. Did a mild today but I am wanting to try to make something like this, it does state dry hopping with Galaxy but agree with an earlier comment that there is no Galaxy in the dry hopping.It has quite a lingering bitterness to it so I think the IBU's may be quite high I am going with Pilgrim, Challenger and Target hops. If that doesn't work I will ask next time I am there.

Back