Hoegaarden Wit - Culturing Bottle Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cortez The Killer

HeCameDancingAcrossTheWater
Reaction score
Hi fellas

After no sucess with culturing some belgian wit yeast from a slant - I'm looking for an alternative

Has anyone cultured up the yeast in a hoegaarden wit?

I can't find anything conclusive on the subject.

Some posts say that its the primary strain and others a secondary - some say it's an option others less than impressed

Has anyone here managed to culture it up and get a good result?

Any tips?

Cheers

I don't know if you've seen it, but this site is my favourite reference for this type of thing. They seem to think it is the primary strain (yeast only)... I'd give it a crack. why not? :) Let me know how it goes!

I collected a nice sample of yeast the other night from a bottle of Hoegaarden Grand Cru.I will try to spin it up this weekend and see how it goes

Franko

I did a K&K in 2001 coopers yeast 1kg No15 brew booster & cultured a Hoegarden stubby.

What I remember was the kruesan was very light & bubbly nearly to the top of the 30 litre fermenter.

I had only just started brewing & I thought what have I got here.

My very average notes say started on the 6th 01/01/2001 & finished on 24/01//2007 which was a long time for me being a 26 K&K man up to then. Usually doing a brew in a week. Allso remember having the fermentor in the bath with a towel over it to keep the temp down.

I gave it 4 stars out of 5 but I might have been over amped with the sucsess of cultering a yeast out of a stubby that wasnt a coopers.

I am a novice brewer thought I'de throw my 2 cents worth in. Still remember the kruesan being light, bubbly & high.

it was a coopers wheat not yeast sorry

lol you know you can click 'edit' under your post within 30min of posting it :) Sounds good anyway, ive heard of mixed experiences with it.

lol you know you can click 'edit' under your post within 30min of posting it :) Sounds good anyway, ive heard of mixed experiences with it.

edit oh posting like I have been brewing

Back