Hoegaarden Grand Cru

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gout

Bentleigh Brau Haus
Reaction score
well i bought on over the weekend and thought i would see what its like.

from what i remember (and at 8.3% alc. this is hard) it was a very fuity aroma, cloudy gold, little bubble activity, altho fizzy in the mouth

sweet initial with littlebitterness (due to the high gravity?) with a strong alc warming a few seconds later

Can any one else tell me their thoughts on this beer so it might trigger the memory

was nice though and very different

$5 though

Is it just me, or did it taste kinda like a leffe blonde? Im not very good at describing what I taste, I just know if I like it or not!

the extra fizz in the mouth that you detected was most likely due to the time the bottle had spent on the shelf in the shop. they dont shift fast cos of their price

this happens particularly with the imported bottle conditioned beers such as duvel, orval, the leffe range and the chimay range. i believe it is from the yeast over attenuating the residual sugars in the beer, causing it to be quite dry, very fizzy and having an overly alcoholic flavour.

Tastes a bit like the regular Hoegaarden but more complex.
Basically it is just a strong witbier although I believe the wheat content (%)is lower and barley content(%) higher than the regular hoegaarden. It is still spiced with coriander and orange zest, but the flavours of these aren't quite as prominent. It does have an alcoholic warmth but to me it is not as dramatic as some other belgian ales in the 8-9% range (notably Kwak and Duvel).
Lovely beer ...lovely glass ... worth every cent.

Back