Hobart Happenings

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joecast

Eat, drink...and drink some more.
Reaction score
Hey guys,
just wanted to fill the locals in on a couple of things coming up. saw this advertised in the mercury today, channel court wine cellars (never heard of it before?) are having a barons beer tasting from 4-6pm this friday. plus, $16/six pack with an extra stubbie thrown in. the main reason i posted about this was because you hardly ever see a bottle shop advertising for a beer tasting (i think gas works 9/11 has held them before though) so if anyone is interested or in the area you know about it.

the other is the fruit wine festival at bellerive board walk on sunday. been to a couple and they are pretty good fun. very low key and plenty of brewers, uh wine folk, to ask questions of. hopefully i can make that one, we'll see. cheers.
joe

damn, ive moved back up north, and am heading down to hobart next weekend :(

otherwise i'd be there with bells on.

ahh well, maybe next time.

btw, got an email from willie simpson the other day, letting everyone know the dates of this years HOPSters meetings:
February 7, April 3, June 5, August 7, September 18, November 13

usual time, usual place :p

hey, thanks for the hops dates. they're going straight into the diary.
and six meetings this year?! nice!!

yup, might as well post the entire email then

HOPSters all,

Due to popular demand and with the on-going support of the New Sydney pub, we will be holding SIX HOPS gatherings during 2008. Dates are: February 7, April 3, June 5, August 7, September 18, November 13. Hopefully, the increased frequency means we wont have to turn punters away but were keen to limit numbers below 80 for comforts sake. Bar manager Big Al wants to use HOPS events to select members favourite beers as guest tap beers in the downstairs bar (and if theyre popular enough, they will become regulars among the New Sydneys excellent range of tap beers). Well let you know what beers will be offered at the first 2008 HOPS shortly, in the mean time, mark this in your diary:

6-8pm Thursday 7 February, 2008 New Sydney Hotel 87 Bathurst St Hobart

Regards,

Baron von B.

Is there any kind of homebrew club down here?

MFS

no brew clubs i know of, only HOPSters which is more of a beer drinkers/lovers club.

not so much a club as a loose association of...

oh, sorry, thats someone elses speech :p

uh, there are certainly enough brewers around to have one.
speaking for myself, it would be awesome if there was a local home brew club. the down side of it would be that ive got so much other stuff going on, i would probably never make it to the meetings! but i would certainly be up for it.

one thing though. once brew by you is gone, where would the meetings be??
in case not everyone ot that email:

Hi all

It is with regret that I announce that Brew By You will be closing Dark Isle Brewery and the associated brew on premise facility. The winter season is a very poor trading time and we can not survive another one. The doors will close for business on Saturday the 9th of February, this will be the last opportunity for bottling so the last brew date is Saturday the 26th of January. I have enough ingredients for arround 50 to 60 brews so its a first come first served type deal. All brews must be paid for at the time of ordering.

Brew By You will continue to exist however with the Home Brew Shop moving to a soon to be advised premises in Moonah.

So take the opportunity to make one last batch, but get in quick before we run out of ingredients.

Yours Sincerely

Andrew Buechner
Director

:( :(

id be keen, but living in the other end of the state makes it difficult :p

Back