HLT water transfer with a pump advice needed!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TheWiggman said:
Now sure if you worded it right to begin with Welly but was the issue to do with getting water on top of your fridge? Copypasta -

"Getting water into the HLT is going to be a little bit of an inconvenience - climbing on a stool to get up to fridge top level to fill the tank - so was thinking perhaps I should get a pump of some description to at least get water from the HLT to the mash tun during both the mash and the sparge stages."

Getting water into the HLT - one problem
Water from the HLT to the mash - completely different

If you want to move water up, get a pump. If you want it down, as per MHB. Or maybe use the connector that MHB suggested and use tap pressure and a hose to pour straight into the HLT from the tap.
Otherwise you have a 3 tier system, which is very common thanks to gravity.
Yeah, you're right. I did word it badly. The main issue is indeed getting water into the HLT which is sat on the fridge. But from the great advice I've been given in this thread, for the batch I'll be cooking up next week (ingredients didn't arrive for this weekend unfortunately!), I'm going to go with Jeremy's suggestion of:

- HLT on desk
- Mash tun on floor
- Transfer water to mash tun
- Sparge water from HLT to mash tun using gravity

and then for the boil:

- Transfer mash tun to desk
- Boiling pot on floor
- Transfer wort using gravity

I'll see how that goes and perhaps for the next batch if that isn't entirely successful, buy a pump or move into bigger living space with a garage and a dedicated brew room.

I did measure out water and mark the inside of my HLT so I can just fill it up to 10 or 20L from the tap via a hose and then top up the additional required water using a jug. It was pretty accurate markings as well, which I was chuffed with.

Unfortunately not! At least not at the correct level. There's a window that opens up at the top of the window frame which will probably be no good. I'll investigate a bit more this evening and see if there's any other option. Only been in the apartment for a month.

MartinOC said:
Somewhere on this forum (since I haven't got them stored on my bloody computer!!), I've got piccies of what I reckon would be perfect for you & is very flexible.
Found it!!!

http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/78608-the-phoenix-brewery-first-dry-run/

Have a look/read (it's the first post in the thread) & PM me if you've got any questions.

The brewery you see in the piccies has been dismantled due to a house-move & I now have something different, but the equipment is the same & I still use it the same way.

MartinOC said:
Found it!!!

http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/78608-the-phoenix-brewery-first-dry-run/

Have a look/read (it's the first post in the thread) & PM me if you've got any questions.

The brewery you see in the piccies has been dismantled due to a house-move & I now have something different, but the equipment is the same & I still use it the same way.
Excellent! That's brilliant, thank you. I'll have a good look and see if I can figure out your system and I'll be back with questions I don't doubt. cheers!

Back