Hlt, Tun, Or Kettle?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JestersDarts

I (heart) Darts
Reaction score
Hi All

I am after a bit of advice

At my dads place on the weekend and spied this in the corner of the shed..

image.jpeg

image__1_.jpeg

image__2_.jpeg

image__3_.jpeg

Pwoar! Now what can I use it for

I am keen on building a gravity 3 vessel brewery, and want to make a mash tun out of an esky so really, should I use this as my HLT or Kettle?

If it were a HLT, I figure I would have to:

Get the bung hole welded

Use an immersion element,

tempmate probe over the top into water

and build a sight-gauge

fashion some sort of lid

= HLT ready.

Kettle, I would have to:

Get bung hole welded

Hop screen

replace tap??

= Kettle Ready.

Is this better suited to a kettle or a HLT? Or neither?

Have I got the above right, or is there something missing to make either vessel?

What is the volume JD?

If the volume is equal or larger than your esky MT - then I would use it as your kettle. If you use a hop sock (or pellets and no chill) you can get away with then simply welding the hole, add a gas burner and you are done. (or over hte side immersion element if going elec).

Then pick up an urn as your HLT (sightglass, etc already in place - easier).

Ideally your kettle will be equal or a tad larger than your HLT and MT - this also depends on whether you batch of fly sparge, and the size of your typical batch...

2c.

What is the volume JD?

If the volume is equal or larger than your esky MT - then I would use it as your kettle. If you use a hop sock (or pellets and no chill) you can get away with then simply welding the hole, add a gas burner and you are done. (or over hte side immersion element if going elec).

I dont know the exact volume - I forgot to measure it yesterday. Perhaps someone knows what sort of keg this is?

I use one of them for my keggle, as Kev said it's 80 ltr so perfect for double's and possably tripples.

Get the Bung welded, add a pick up tube and it shoulf be ready to go.

Brilliant - Kettle it is...
I can't see the pics at work (blocked hosting sites) but will have a look at home for some ideas.
Its a bit of a pita because all of this stuff is 3 hours away at my dads place - so I only get to his shed when i go visit on weekends. I'm in the process of converting him to AG, but he still has that blank look on his face when I explain that the goo in the can is what we are making ourselves. From scratch. Fresh. So explaining to him what the HLT is for, or a 90 minute hop boil is...

I need to show him first hand I think.

I'm getting him started on modifying this keg - I think I'll ask him to make a pickup tube and replace the tap, and weld up the bung for a kettle.

I plan to have big brew days down there on the farm, cube the wort, and bring it back to Adelaide to ferment / keg.

If this is 80L, Can I potentially do 60L boils (thinking end result = 3 cornies of product) ? And what implications for size of a mash tun or HLT would this mean?
Just so I know what to plan / look for next.

yep, you could "push to try 60ltrs after boil, but you would probably require about 71 ltrs pre boil, so there might be a bit of a boil over.

if you go for the 80 to 100ltr esky or similar for MLT, you shold be able to get a Mash (for standard 5% brews) in there for a 60ltr post boil. Then a 50 ltr minimum for HLT.

N.B someone with more experiance can let you know whether my assumptions are correct.

good luck, great find.

yep, you could "push to try 60ltrs after boil, but you would probably require about 71 ltrs pre boil, so there might be a bit of a boil over.

if you go for the 80 to 100ltr esky or similar for MLT, you shold be able to get a Mash (for standard 5% brews) in there for a 60ltr post boil. Then a 50 ltr minimum for HLT.

N.B someone with more experiance can let you know whether my assumptions are correct.

good luck, great find.

Cheers - I do want to plan to brew comfortably though - not living on the edge with boil overs imminent, and not enough hot water on demand, MLT too large for single batches etc - Perhaps I will plan for double batches - so i'm thinking for a 50L esky for tun.. I may be able to get a 50L vessel I can make into a HLT also..
hopefully these sizes are about right - and i'm not planning myself short.

I have 50ltr HLT and MLT, and can do dbl batches, with no issues, I think I could only do a single batch of a big beer (8+%) though.

I'm planning on using the same vessel as a HLT & kettle until I can get my hands on a 3rd vessel. Has anyone tried this with success? I'm thinking my 1st runnings can go in a cube while I sparge. Apart from double handling can anyone see any problems with my plan?

I've seen that mentioned and I'm pretty sure there are still those who do it.

I have done that a couple of times, I used a fermenter as my work collector, till the HLT was empty and then usable as a kettle.

My kettle used to be two pots - 1 x 10L and 1 x 15 L. They were also my HLTs. Two boils in ecah pot per brew so I needed somewhere to put my runnings - spare fermenter was the ticket. Bit of a stuff around but that's the only drawback.

I have seen a few setups on various forums of using just 2 vessels (along with a HERMS and pump :ph34r: ).

iirc - newguy has a 2 vessel setup I think.

Back