Hilary or Donald

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the name of reaching out to people to ensure they are aware of the civil liberties available to them, in our wonderful country - call me Inspector Gadget.

good4whatAlesU said:
Edit: "You could choose to remove it at your own discretion, that's up to you"
And/Or if you tell us that someone is forcing you to wear that restrictive gown .. we will be having a very serious chat with them.

good4whatAlesU said:
And what if you are asked to point which way the bomber went? .. and you don't (or can't) because your sight was restricted by the clothing you choose to be wearing and you can't show your hands. Can you go down for it? .. I would say no, unless it can be demonstrated you are deliberately averting the course of justice (which could conceivably happen - but would be very difficult to prove).
If you could not see it then that is legit. No different to saying " I didnt see it cause I was turnded the other way " or " there was a person/car/object blocking my view "

surely the biggest disadvantage of wearing a burqa is that every time you fart the only vent for the gas to escape is in front of your face. Other than that it's all positive. maximum sun protection, don't have to think about what outfit to wear etc

good4whatAlesU said:
And/Or if you tell us that someone is forcing you to wear that restrictive gown .. we will be having a very serious chat with them.
Yeah...right ( wing )

Liam_snorkel said:
surely the biggest disadvantage of wearing a burqa is that every time you fart the only vent for the gas to escape is in front of your face. Other than that it's all positive. maximum sun protection, don't have to think about what outfit to wear etc
Should have worn a Burqa

Capture3.JPG

Ducatiboy stu said:
Yeah...right ( wing )
I've never been called right wing before .. that's quite a new concept.

I am usually (as in this case) standing up for people's liberties.

Liam_snorkel said:
But black is such a hot color.

03c324c150a3a5ad73f8ee144327ecd1.jpg

Then the rock which had made such a large splash in the pond disappeared, the ripples calmed, and all was quiet.

good4whatAlesU said:
Then the rock which had made such a large splash in the pond disappeared, the ripples calmed, and all was quiet.
Thank God for that

maxresdefault.jpg

Dave70 said:
Perception is reality. Like Mr Humphreys said, 'I'm free!, I''m free!'. Much of the perceived infringements on out 'rights' is the stuff of tin foil hattery. When was the last time you actually heard of someone being finned for offering a reward for 'no questions asked return of stolen property' in Tasmania or South Australia? (Technically punishable by a $500 fine in both states).

A pub is a place for people 18 years and over, like its says on the door - a church is not. Neither is my daughters pre school, or my sons soccer game. If you exercise your 'right' to scream obscenity at either of the latter, being forcibly removed is the appropriate response.
You're pushing at an open door with me when you imply we're over governed and over lawed, but there's nothing physically preventing you from doing as you please.
Todays public square is infinitely more far reaching than a crank with a bullhorn. Last time I checked the internet (at least in the west) was free of censorship. You can start a blog that will reach millions today denying the Holocaust all you want without fear of harassment.

http://www.fpp.co.uk/
Ha, ha. Reading back what I wrote, i guess I can't blame someone for thinking I was a foil hat wearing, paranoid, conspiracy theorist. :D

Dave, you read something into my post that I did not intend to imply. That's the problem with the written word, sometimes. I guess I wasn't careful enough with my wording, but it was late. I was not trying to imply that the laws were heavy handed or that we were over governed or over legislated. I was only trying to state that the premise that we have certain freedoms or rights, that were being espoused by some on the thread, are a bit of an illusion. I think the popular American culture that we are exposed to constantly has warped the perception of reality. The examples I used were to provide insight into the fact that we don't have this absolute freedom that some seem to think we do and that there is legislation that prevent us from doing many things that some people think we are entitled. On the flip side, there are many things we can do, that we have no entitlement too. We can still do them and it's not breaking any law, but that does not mean it is a civil liberty or a right.

The example with the pub and church are actual examples of matters that were taken to court (I can't find the case law just now, but it doesn't matter, they are poor examples for what I was trying to say anyway). The public square thing was another example from laws preventing people from espousing their opinions or beliefs in certain situations. In America, similar things are allowed, under the guise of freedom of expression. I think we all remember the Quran burnings and other stupid things that have gone on in recent years over there. Yes, the internet is a great way for people to hide their hate speech or other B.S., but it doesn't necessarily make it legal in Australia, but again that is getting way off point.

Sorry I pushed at your open door..... :unsure: The foil hat came down over my eyes, so I missed it :lol: You really should shut your door, anyone might wander in and steal your home brew :drinks:

good4whatAlesU said:
Although the rock has since spoken, he could have remained silent because he owned you.

Those that play the man often think they have won, when in reality the ball was placed in the back of their net a long time ago.

good4whatAlesU said:
Those that play the man often think they have won, when in reality the ball was placed in the back of their net a long time ago.
No one in this thread has played the man. The rock as you referred to him, replied to your claims and I simply stated that you were unable to answer any of his points. It's not your defintion of civil rights and civil liberties that is lacking. It's the understanding of how such things are formed that you need to work on in order to improve your argument.

I really um'd and ah'd about posting on this topic in the first place, as it most often ends badly. I think someone great once said, 'never argue with an idiot, as they will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience'. Well I guess the same goes for Trump, so maybe I'm bringing it back on topic. I guess I can't help myself, as my brain hurts. Maybe it's the foil hats.....

good4whatAlesU said:
Quite a few errors there Jack.

I don't have time to take all of it up now (work to go too) but may resume this evening.

I'm waiting for that to happen. You appeared to have had enough time to post a few times today, so I thought I may have been corrected by now.

It is not compulsory to vote in Australia. It is compulsory to turn up to the polling station but it is not compulsory to vote.

Funny that it's not compulsory, let's look as the legislation shall we. Now what is it called again....... That's right, my legal training is coming back to me, it's titled "Compulsory Voting".
S.245 "Compulsory Voting", Commonwealth Electoral Act 1918 (Cth) subsection (1) It shall be the duty of every elector to vote at each election. and subsection (15) An elector commits an offence if the elector fails to vote at an election. http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/consol_act/cea1918233/s245.html

Just because, in practice it is difficult, or nigh on impossible, for a prosecution to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that someone didn't actually cast a vote after signing off at the polling station, does not make it legal. A simple google search could have prevented your above statement.
The Oxford dictionary is not the source of all knowledge.

No, it's the source of definitions of words and terms. Given that your mixing rights and civil liberties in your posts to the point it hurt, I wanted to clarify the mistake. The Oxford dictionary is a more relevant one than American definitions of the same term as it is British and as I pointed out, most of Australian law is heavily based on British laws.

The word "waive" can be defined as to "forgo" something, which is exactly what some people are doing in terms of their civil liberties.

Throw away comment that means nothing other than "I can look up the meanings of words too". Who, which civil liberties?

Our system is based on that of the British, party influence by men including Dr Richard Price who wrote a lot about civil liberties.

What's your point? I know civil liberties exist, but it's still not a civil liberty to not have your face covered. In fact it can be argued that it is a civil liberty to have your face covered (freedom of expression), but what we think of as freedom of expression is a custom in Australia not a law. and therefore much more open to interpretation. Note I did not use freedom of religion, which is enshrined in the Australian constitution as a limited right as that would imply that a religion required a person to cover their face. That is open to interpretation in Islam and I would not express my opinions on religion, because I don't know enough about it.

Australia is a one of the most free countries in the world with more civil liberties than most others.
good4whatAlesU said:
Being able to walk down the street freely showing your face and identify is a civil liberty. Which under Australian law can be waived by choice.
Given this is the comment that hurts the brain the most, I will ask you in all honesty, can you name the civil liberty you mean and can you state which Australian legislation you are referring to in the above comment. Please post the link to this piece of legislation as I would like to read it.

Latest posts

Back