Hilary or Donald

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
good4whatAlesU said:
The two situations...

Outside of that, persons can waive (forgo) utilisation of their available civil liberties if they like by choice. That's up to them.
Don't take this personally please. It's my personal comments. But I think civil liberties are innate. The idea people can waive these things (an illusion of choice in the face of the law? Please...) Long pants hide more than a veil or helmet or scarf. Shirts hide more too. Broaden the scope of the proposed laws to encompass the realistic threat to everyone's well being by applying it equally or call it for the predatory, exclusionary, discriminatory BS it is. Or just call it a Muslim law and live with the fact there's prejudice at the proposals heart. Moreover look at the proponent/s of the law and then you know it's based on prejudice because they are bastards.

good4whatAlesU said:
Probably seeing the full face and arm/hand gestures I would suggest.
so teenagers wearing baggy hoodies should also be included right?

Brewnicorn said:
Long pants hide more than a veil or helmet or scarf. Shirts hide more too.
Does this mean I can walk around tackle out, to prove I have nothing to hide?

JDW81 said:
Yes in my opinion you have a civil right to whip the flute out just as long as you are not wearing a burqa or something that is equally offensive to 50% of an imaginary population.

Nothing personal taken at all. A free open discussion is welcome.

But I do disagree that a shirt or long pants can hide more than a burqa. Having said that, I disagree with the proposed law too - it's not right. Laws that impede on religious freedom (including what clothing a person wears) should only be enacted in the most extreme situations, which I'm not sure are current.

You catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar.

Civil liberties are VERY important. They form the basis of our free society and constitution. But people can waive free rights if they want to, so long as they don't break the law.

For example, it is a free right in Australia to have your children vaccinated. But some people choose to waive that right in the name of belief. I don't agree with it, but under our law it's up to them.

SBOB said:
so teenagers wearing baggy hoodies should also be included right?
In an emergency situation where there is a security risk, within a protected zone. Absolutely.

LAGERFRENZY said:
Yes in my opinion you have a civil right to whip the flute out just as long as you are not wearing a burqa or something that is equally offensive to 50% of an imaginary population.
That is not a civil right, it's illegal in public and you will most likely be arrested and charged, under Australian law.

good4whatAlesU said:
Probably seeing the full face and arm/hand gestures I would suggest.
Glad to see you have dropped the whole " I want to see there faces " argument

Ducatiboy stu said:
Glad to see you have dropped the whole " I want to see there faces " argument
It's "their faces" not "there faces".

And No. I haven't dropped it. In a situation where clear communication is desired I would prefer, personally, to see someone's face.

good4whatAlesU said:
It's "their faces" not "there faces".

And No. I haven't dropped it. In a situation where clear communication is desired I would prefer, personally, to see someone's face.
Although... I dont think it will help your argument here... I am ******* ugly and have nervous twitches, so pretty hard to read

...oh...and yeah, sorry there about their, didnt realise you where part of the Australian Spelling and Gamma Nazi party

...also glad I spelt faces correctly...could have turned to shit real quick

good4whatAlesU said:
You catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar.
Why are you catching flies? Do you have a pet lizard? Lizards have rights too - this is VERY important if you happen to be a lizard.

Actually, you catch HEAPS more flies with malt vinegar....and that is fact

I've got beer bowls in the garden that turn to vinegar real quick with those little vinegar flies. So just what type of fly are you guys trying to scrutinize here anyway.
Also a great little colony of lizards too. I think they eat the little vinegar flies. I'm not sure if this is Politically correct or relevant but its just what popped to mind at the current fusing of this incredibly diversified topic.

Gota catch flies for the reptilian overloads...gota keep them fed and happy

JDW81 said:
Catch up.

manticle said:
By wearing clothing, are we waiving our civil liberty to walk, tackle unfettered, through the main streets.

good4whatAlesU said:
Civil liberties are VERY important. They form the basis of our free society and constitution. But people can waive free rights if they want to, so long as they don't break the law.

For example, it is a free right in Australia to have your children vaccinated. But some people choose to waive that right in the name of belief. I don't agree with it, but under our law it's up to them.
I'm going to have to wade in here, because someone is taking the civil liberties with the use of the term (sorry, just had to add that pun). But seriously, civil liberty and personal choice are being confused a lot here. Just because one believes something, does not make it true.....

Firstly, the meaning of civil liberty is; The state of being subject only to laws established for the good of the community, especially with regard to freedom of action and speech. (Oxford Dictionary). Note it states especially, not only.

You cannot waive your civil liberties in Australia, as a civil liberty cannot be waived. It can be taken away, if it existed in the first place, but not waived. Or in other words, you cannot waive your rights to be subject only to laws established for the good of the community. The constant assertion that has been made on this thread that someone, by wearing or not wearing an item of clothing, so as to show their face, would be waiving their civil liberties is rubbish. FULL STOP.

Now there is a difference between civil liberties and rights. The below is from an American take on it, so note the references to Bill of Rights and Constitution, this is where Australia and the States differ in soooo many ways, but I'll let you absorb it first;
It is important to note the difference between "civil rights" and "civil liberties." The legal area known as "civil rights" has traditionally revolved around the basic right to be free from unequal treatment based on certain protected characteristics (race, gender, disability, etc.) in settings such as employment and housing. "Civil liberties" concern basic rights and freedoms that are guaranteed -- either explicitly identified in the Bill of Rights and the Constitution, or interpreted through the years by courts and lawmakers. Civil liberties include:
  • Freedom of speech
  • The right to privacy
  • The right to be free from unreasonable searches of your home
  • The right to a fair court trial
  • The right to marry
  • The right to vote
Australia is NOT a free society and we have little in the way of rights. We have compulsory voting, not a right to vote. We do not have a right to marry (just ask our LGBTQI brothers, sisters and unassigned), we do not have freedom of speech, in fact there are a multitude of laws that prohibit and punish what can be said by whom and where it is acceptable (ie you can drop the F-bomb in a pub and the constabulary won't touch you, but if you went to a church and started F'ing and blinding, you would be liable for arrest for offensive language (same words, different place). If you stood up in a public square, where a Jewish gathering was taking place and started spouting off anti-holocaust rubbish, you would be arrested for causing a public disturbance (and likely have your life saved at the same time). Not freedom of speech that many seem to understand. We do have versions of the other three, although not enshrined as rights, but mostly in common law (A British Commonwealth throw back that still holds in many countries including majority Muslim Pakistan).

We ARE a very tolerant society though (relatively and generally), which expects its citizens to abide by the laws of this land, but quite often have no actual idea of most of the laws. This is quite different from a free society. This free society thing that is bandied about is a bit of an illusion that many have. Maybe because of media and the relaxed attitudes of much of our law enforcement brethren. It seems that much is ignored, because of our general relaxed nature and this is mostly a good thing.

We have no freedom of speech rights, or freedom of association rights or freedom to dress in a particular way rights that are enshrined anywhere. We are governed by the constitutions, statutes, common law and case law (court precedents) of the States and Federation. Very few of these have references to rights. Freedom of religion is one that is reference. Others include that people who are arrested have rights that are enshrined in statute law, for example the right not to answer questions, put to them by the police, or the right not to be compelled to give evidence in a court in which they are charged, but the rest of us can rely on sweet FA in so far as rights to freedoms go. Some of the UN ones, but really they are international rights and well that is a complicated and boring topic that will likely end with the truth, that the UN can't enforce much anyway.

If the laws of this land and its States were enforced to the letter of the law, then many people would be shocked as to the harsh variety of what actually constitutes an offence. For example, there are laws in Australia that enable certain government agencies to hold secret hearings, in which any citizen could be forced, under punishment of imprisonment for non-compliance, to attend and truthfully answer all questions put to them. That citizen would not be allowed to tell anyone that they were going, or had been or what they were asked or spoke about. Now they have the personal choice to refuse, but then they go to Gaol. That's a choice and not a right. These sort of hearings happen on a regular basis all around Australia for the good of the community (sound familiar; also in the definition of civil liberties). Now tell me this is the free society you all seem to imagine we live in.

So I'll end here by saying that one does not have a "free right to have your children vaccinated in Australia". It's a choice, not a right and one cannot waive a right that does not exist.

Quite a few errors there Jack.

I don't have time to take all of it up now (work to go too) but may resume this evening.

It is not compulsory to vote in Australia. It is compulsory to turn up to the polling station but it is not compulsory to vote.

The Oxford dictionary is not the source of all knowledge.

The word "waive" can be defined as to "forgo" something, which is exactly what some people are doing in terms of their civil liberties.

Our system is based on that of the British, party influence by men including Dr Richard Price who wrote a lot about civil liberties.

Australia is a one of the most free countries in the world with more civil liberties than most others.

good4whatAlesU said:
Quite a few errors there Jack.

I don't have time to take all of it up now (work to go too) but may resume this evening.

It is not compulsory to vote in Australia. It is compulsory to turn up to the polling station but it is not compulsory to vote.

The Oxford dictionary is not the source of all knowledge.

The word "waive" can be defined as to "forgo" something, which is exactly what some people are doing in terms of their civil liberties.

Our system is based on that of the British, party influence by men including Dr Richard Price who wrote a lot about civil liberties.

Australia is a one of the most free countries in the world with more civil liberties than most others.

Hello...WEAL...is that you.,...

We dont have many civil liberties... I think you are confusing them with perceived freedoms

If you choose the wear full body clothing, you are not waiving your civil liberty....if you decide to let the police bash you, then you are

Dont forget that Australia does not have a bill of rights, and as Jack has noted, we are one of the most governed ( with respect to the laws that allow/disallow us to do what we like )

Back