Hilary or Donald

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like ideas, and clever people, but does anybody else get the vibe this is just kind of one big unworkable intellectual circle jerk?

Nah, probably just cynical old me.

The wheels on the bus go around and around ...

At the end of the day .. we all get a vote come the next election and can put them in or out. It's basic arithmetic.

good4whatAlesU said:
Yes that's what I mean't . People can be 'vetted' (asked to stand down) during selection, based on the particulars of the case in hand.
They can be asked to stand down during selection but it's at the sole discretion of the prosecution or the defence lawyers for any reason they decide. They might just not like the look of someone, or whatever. It has nothing to do with the particulars of the case, and the lawyers know nothing about the potential jurors. It's not really a process of deciding whether someone knows enough about it to be qualified to serve on the jury. I've been called up twice; the first time I just went home on the first day and didn't have to go back again for the rest of the two weeks. The second time I ended up on a jury, and a few people were asked to stand down by both sides for reasons unknown. They just looked like perfectly normal everyday people like everyone else in the group.

I have been called up for jury duty but got stood down, and I would have been a crap juror, I was waiting for a case of mine to be heard and I sat in on the case before mine regarding a Peeping Tom and after hearing the evidence my opinion was a not guilty verdict until the judge read out all the accused previous convictions for being a Peeping Tom my opinion went down the gurgler.

Rocker1986 said:
They can be asked to stand down during selection but it's at the sole discretion of the prosecution or the defence lawyers for any reason they decide. They might just not like the look of someone, or whatever. It has nothing to do with the particulars of the case, and the lawyers know nothing about the potential jurors. It's not really a process of deciding whether someone knows enough about it to be qualified to serve on the jury. I've been called up twice; the first time I just went home on the first day and didn't have to go back again for the rest of the two weeks. The second time I ended up on a jury, and a few people were asked to stand down by both sides for reasons unknown. They just looked like perfectly normal everyday people like everyone else in the group.
Indeed. Not so much as whether the know enough about it (legally speaking) but maybe whether they have been influenced about what they think they know about it.

E.g. a case about reckless driving, and one of the potential Jurors is wearing a "hot rods, summernats and burnouts t-shirt".

If I ever get called up for jury duty, I'll make sure I wear my 'you ******* people make me sick' t-shirt.

My brother received his call up letter for Jury Duty during the Joh Bjelke Peterson Government days. He sent them back a ten page letter declining the invitation detailing his views on the corruptness of the Government and Police Force. They have left him alone ever since.

I've sat twice.
Its not like A Few Good Men.

20121130-135553.jpg

I wore a Motley Crue t-shirt and they let me on. :lol: The case I was on involved an attempted car theft or some shit.. we found him guilty and a few of us hung around afterwards for the sentencing. Turned out he had a long past of these types of offences.

Ironically....

I was at the pub doing the meat rafffles tonight, and my next door neighbor/landlord and his son, 21 cruised in.

Young Jordy had been called up for this morning and got selected for a murder trial that will last at least 3-4 weeks....( yep, good old G-Town's court has the Supreme court sit rather often )

He rollled up to the pub in his work gear, just as he rolled up to court for selection. Just as he went to work all week working on things like cane harvesters, tractors, cars...etc..

He thought that they would let him go...

He already thinks its all a bit slow......

I don't think banning clothing is the best way to bring down organised religion.

It will fail because the idea is as dumb as she is.

wide eyed and legless said:
Good on you Jacqui Lambie for introducing a burqa ban bill, could never imagine Malcolm doing it.
not that he hasnt done stupid stuff.... but most likely because this idea is stupid

If we are happy to become a country that suppresses the freedom to express individuals religious beliefs, then what other stuff are we also going to be happy to give up?

whats next? Cory Bernadi for prime minister?

wide eyed and legless said:
Another shackle to be cast off from a man made religion which denigrates women along with female circumcision and marrying 12 year old girls.,
aren't all religions man made?

They are all man made made religions but they don't all treat women as second class citizens, why is it a stupid idea? Germany let the marriage of children go ahead through PC and the following of Sharia law, but have banned the burqa how stupid is that.

Back