Hilary or Donald

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is this type of gender specific ethical restriction called a "namus"?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Namus

There is a fine line between religious freedom and religious pressure. If a clothing 'namus' restricts a woman from interaction with other people in society (lets face it - most communication is via body language) then that's not a good thing in my opinion.

If a woman 'chooses' to wear it then does she not choose to limit her ability to communicate?

manticle said:
It's stupid because, apart from anything else, it won't achieve its intended purpose.
And why will it not achieve its intended purpose, I suppose all the other countries which have banned it, it has just been a complete waste of time, the women of a Muslim faith are often not allowed an education and when they do get an education and speak out they are promptly got rid of.
Anything that helps release the women from their shackles is worthwhile and not stupid as for the nun they wear their garb by choice not because they were made to.

Or banning Christian Brothers to abolish paedophilia. Hang on a minute.

All choices are fraught with possible hypocrisy and contradiction.

The point is that it's a choice, willingly made (which being told 'no' definitely isn't).

I'll just suggest once more though that the motivation is nothing to do with women's emancipation. Disingenuous to suggest it is, really.

wide eyed and legless said:
And why will it not achieve its intended purpose, I suppose all the other countries which have banned it, it has just been a complete waste of time, the women of a Muslim faith are often not allowed an education and when they do get an education and speak out they are promptly got rid of.
Anything that helps release the women from their shackles is worthwhile and not stupid as for the nun they wear their garb by choice not because they were made to.
Its intended purpose is to make us safer from terrorism. Explain to me how it will.

Under servitude to a male run regeime

LAGERFRENZY said:
Or banning Christian Brothers to abolish paedophilia. Hang on a minute.
Pfffft

george-pell.jpg

manticle said:
Its intended purpose is to make us safer from terrorism. Explain to me how it will.
Cause we will be able to see that they are terrorists, its really very simple(istic)

If a woman chooses to limit her ability to communicate with 50% of society, how is it that society is able to include her? More likely she will be tolerated but not fully included?

I dont want to communicate with 50% of the population.... And I find that a good thing, and I still feel included

manticle said:
I'll just suggest once more though that the motivation is nothing to do with women's emancipation. Disingenuous to suggest it is, really.
There will be plenty of women out there who will disagree with that statement, do you know that it is the freedom of expression by the woman to wear those garbs or is it freedom of expression by the men?

I reckon kids should not be taught to not believe in Santa Clause and the world would be a better place.

abyss said:
I reckon kids should not be taught to not believe in Santa Clause and the world would be a better place.

...back of there buddy.... I like getting drunk at Christmas....do not take that away from me

There will be plenty of women out there who will disagree with that statement, do you know that it is the freedom of expression by the woman to wear those garbs or is it freedom of expression by the men?
If you research, you'll find there are plenty of well educated muslim women who don the veil for very specific reasons.

Not my cup of tea- I struggle to understand why any educated person chooses to believe in sky fairies but so be it. They can. They can also wear hoods, veils or cover themselves in tatts.

I'm not saying there isn't an argument from a feminist standpoint against hijab/burqua/niquab (and some for) but my point is that that has nothing whatsoever to do with Lambie's quite open motivation. Hence if the level of terrorist threat drops below probable, she's happy for them to go back to being sheet wearing male slaves with less rights than a teacup.

Ducatiboy stu said:
I dont want to communicate with 50% of the population.... And I find that a good thing, and I still feel included
Yes but people don't feel afraid (I assume)? to try and communicate with you.

It's like wearing a piss off and don't talk to me t-shirt. We'll fair enough, don't feel bad if I ignore you then...

But is it really aimed at terrorists, has there ever been any terrorist activity from wearing the Burqa?It is airports and the ACT that the ban is aimed at, fair enough, but she wants anyone who forces a woman or a child wear a burqa to be fined and imprisoned, that would lead me believe that it is about taking control away from the man.

People can worship whatever they like,.. Golden calf, man with beard, elephant with many trunks... whatever floats your boat.

But to effectively say as a group " we choose to wear this that makes it nigh on impossible to communicate with 50% of society"... I'm not sure that's in the spirit of a happy society.

Back