Higher Attenuation And Herms

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3G

Reaction score
With my last 5 or so brew on the HERMS set up i have been getting atleast 2 or 3 points lower FG. Does anyone else notice they are getting a more fermentable wort when recirculating their wort?
Mash temp is measured with the same equipment (accurate to .1 degree)

I find the same when using your sytem too mate! :lol: :D

Not sure why it is that significant though, more enzyme action at the constant temperature maybe? rather than the hot and cold spots in the mash when it just sits there without a HERMS?

ramped up temp vs Hot infusion and letting the temp settle, (paging screwy to thread).

I get it too - always a little lower with re-circulated mashes than single infusion. Usually a few points of extra efficiency too.

I think that the main reason is contact with the enzymes - the recirculation gives you a similar effect to a stirred mash, this means that the starches are accessed, liquefied and converted a bit more quickly, while there is still a somewhat higher level of beta amylase activity in your mash because they have had less time to be killed off.

Thats my guess - its true for stirred mashes... could well apply to rims/herms etc as well.

Back