High Temps In Melbourne

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timryan

Reaction score
Hey guys just wondering what effects high temps would have on beer i looked ahead about 9 days ago and didnt see the heat coming so i put down a brew.. ive got ice blocks trying to cool it down but i dont have access to a fridge...but its sitting on about 26 degrees?? Hopefully this wont effect my beer to much... Cheer for the help tim

When did you actually pitch the yeast?

It would high likely be fermented by now so I wouldn't worry too much. Make sure it's sealed though.

cheers the hyrdo reading are were 1.012 today and im expecting it to be very similar tomorrow was planning on brewing it tomorrow night..

If you kept it under control for the first 4-5 days (under 20c) I wouldn't be too worried about the increase now. Depending on the yeast you used etc etc etc then the temp over the first 3-5 days is the most important from the relatively little that I know. However, the drastic increase now isn't great, but I doubt it will impact the flavour profile of your beer as much as the first few days does...

Cool it down any way you can and proceed as normal. And relax.

ive got the fan going with a couple of frozen juice bottles.. Are these old fridges expensive to run and how to you control the temps of them they would cool to lower than 18 degrees it would be closer to 5 degrees would it

I'm in south east, south australia, so whatever temp you have, we've had it a day earlier....

I've currently got a fermenter sitting up to the krausen line in a bath filled with water to keep it as close to 20....Hopefully it turns out ok. My other two fermenters are full and fermenting beautifully at 18 in my ferment fridge. It's a bugger the fridge only fits two....

wet tshirt and fan helps
I'm a fan of wet t-shirts ... oh, wait, wrong forum. :ph34r:

26C at the end of ferment isn't the worst you can do... it's not even the worst you can do at the start of ferment, for an ale yeast that is - no one's asked yet; which yeast?

im starting out and so its just a coopers kit yeast which actually states brew between 22 and 27 degrees.. I read lots about how shit they are but i didn't mind my first brew a coopers pale which i think is very drinkable but im sure im bias i wish i knew brews i could get opinions off .. I am happy to start basic and then make changes so i can taste the differences as i go..

ive got the fan going with a couple of frozen juice bottles.. Are these old fridges expensive to run and how to you control the temps of them they would cool to lower than 18 degrees it would be closer to 5 degrees would it
I use a fridgemate but I think the better option these days is to get an STC-1000 from ebay, there's a few threads around about them in the gear & equip forum I think. They're an external thermostat that you plug the fridge into directly.

Yes ive read alot about the fridge mates but at the moment i dont have a fridge so i cant use one... maybe in the future.. i would love to get the fridge set up with all that gear but at the moment im only just starting out.. plus i wish there was a way to make a few bucks from the brew so i can fund all these purchases.. haha

The high temps have been a *******.....
I am looking for more fridge space to use for fermenting.

Also ... with this QLD humidity in Victoria, I have had heaps of mould growing in my fermenting boxes (dead fridges). Nothing like this 2009-2010 during my first summer brewing.

plus i wish there was a way to make a few bucks from the brew so i can fund all these purchases.. haha

I have said this many many times and i dont mind saying it again if it helps.

By brewing your own beer, you are actually paying yourself! And the cost of a $50 fridge is nuthing in the grand plan!

If you bought beer by the carton.... say something nice like coopers pale ale...... or LCPA ..... whats that cost a carton these days?....... about $50 to $80

Lets run with a nice $60 carton of beer that wouldnt be hard to make yourself! VB is not far off this so its a fair price.

Now....... $60 divided by 9 liters (0.375 x 24) is $6.66 a liter or by comparison..... $153.33 for a 23 liter batch comparison.

It will cost you $30 at the most to make a batch and thats being optomistic.

Is it starting to make sence yet?...... thats a $123 saving in one batch of beer.

Brew 4 batches and you have just under $500 in the hand. $400 if your buying VB.

Please use half of this profit from your first 4 batches of home brew to INVEST in a fridge and set it up for brewing. IT will enable you to ferment at 10 deg with lager yeasts, cold condition, make ales at 18 deg in 40 deg summer heat and insure the quality of the product you spen you money on.

You are mad if you dont!

cheers

Back