High Og In I P A

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
G'day all. Have just put down my first Thomas Coopers I P A, a style that really tickles my fancy. (and taste buds) 1kg brewmaster bodybuilder, kit yeast, t bag of fuggles. O G came in at 1062. Never had a brew start this high. Is it ok?

G'day all. Have just put down my first Thomas Coopers I P A, a style that really tickles my fancy. (and taste buds) 1kg brewmaster bodybuilder, kit yeast, t bag of fuggles. O G came in at 1062. Never had a brew start this high. Is it ok?

Gotta be happy with that, only problem is: Is your choice of yeast going to be able to get through wort and ferment it out, 1Kg of body builder might see it finish pretty high.

I suppose two questions are:

1. what volume did you fill to?

2. Was the kit + kilo fully stirred thru? If not this could mean you did not get an accurate OG reading of your wort, just more concentrate towards the bottom.

I suppose two questions are:

1. what volume did you fill to?

2. Was the kit + kilo fully stirred thru? If not this could mean you did not get an accurate OG reading of your wort, just more concentrate towards the bottom.

Filled to 22ltr, took my time 'n mixed 'n stirred till all was good

Your OG is great for the style (generally 50 - 75 is normal), as screwy pointed out the only real issue would be ensuring the yeast attenuates fully. If it stalls half way through, let the temps rise a little and give it a gentle stir, but hopefully you have no probs.

Best of luck, Dave.

A standard kit plus a kilo of additive will give an og of around 1.045. Making it to 22 litres won't make much difference to the og. You didn't accidently make it to 17 litres?

There could have been some malt extract stuck in the tap which gave you a false high og reading. Or your hydrometer is dodgy, try floating it in plain water, it should read 1.00. Or maybe the sg sample was hot and this gave a false high og.

The style guidelines for an IPA do have higher og's, but to achieve this, you need more malt extract and additives. Plus you need to add extra bitterness and hop flavour to balance the higher fg from using extra malt.

A standard kit plus a kilo of additive will give an og of around 1.045. Making it to 22 litres won't make much difference to the og. You didn't accidently make it to 17 litres?

There could have been some malt extract stuck in the tap which gave you a false high og reading. Or your hydrometer is dodgy, try floating it in plain water, it should read 1.00. Or maybe the sg sample was hot and this gave a false high og.

The style guidelines for an IPA do have higher og's, but to achieve this, you need more malt extract and additives. Plus you need to add extra bitterness and hop flavour to balance the higher fg from using extra malt.

As POL points out, how much malt did you use - total ingredients?

Thanks for all the comment comrades
Definately filled to 22ltr (have marked my carboy at critical levels). I'm perty new to this brewing caper but read all the posts 'n take in as much info as my other brain cell can handle. Am pretty careful when mixing the wort 'n pour in the can away from the tap. I am yet to start playing with extracts etc. I am enjoying the differing flavours from the different styles and am now starting to think about personalising my brews.

I just mixed up my first IPA can:

Black Rock IPA
Coopers BE2
500g LDME
250g dex
Can yeast x2 [spare in fridge, just thought I would dump her in]

OG: 1070!!

I nearly fell over.... but we will see what will comes of it!

Does any one think this is just ridiculously high??

Yes yes checked thermometer, cleared the tap......

Cheers

Well you have 750g dex, 750g malt and 250g maltodex. If I remember correctly, be#2 is 250g maltodex, 500g dex and 250g malt.
According to brewing calculators though OG should be about 1060

Cheers Pablo_h!!

I guess it is a little excessive on the add ons!! But fick it, ya never know if ya never go!!

Thanks again. Sorry to Hijack Salmo...

Cheers
Cocko.

Cheers Pablo_h!!

I guess it is a little excessive on the add ons!! But fick it, ya never know if ya never go!!

Thanks again. Sorry to Hijack Salmo...

Cheers
Cocko.

Don't feel hijjacked at all cocko, we've just gone a little lateral is all. hanks again fer all the comment comrades

Cool Salmo, Cheers.

I just posted some pics of my new 'hotboxes' and realised, looking at the pics, my IPA was only filled to 20L.. OOOOPPPSS! But it explains the high OG.... so I am pretty sure yours will be rocking @ 22! :icon_cheers:

Jeez this badboy is gonna have some punch!
:icon_drunk:

Back