Hi proof neutral spirit .

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last I checked it wasn't illegal discuss distillaton.

It is against the law to have a still (whilst not holding a licence) unless that still is 5L or smaller and is not used to distill alcohol.

But it isn't illegal to discuss how to operate a still.

That's my rant for the day.
Forum guidelines include the one posted by Dave. Discussing illegal activities is actively discouraged. That includes distillation. Know what you can do with your rant now?

I am fairly ignorant when it comes to distilling and its legalities but...... Every hbs i have ever been to sell stills and spirit making gear. The net is full of pot stills ,fractionating stills ect for sale. Not to mention Aussie forums on the subject. What gives?

My rant stands. I do however know what you can do with your rule.

C'mon Gents, the owner of the forum does not want AHB associated with distilling and that includes discussing distilling. It's been a rule for as long as I can remember, there are plenty of other sites to research and discuss.
Please respect the owners wishes.

Cheers

Despite my personal feelings on the illegality of home distilling (when done right), I think the powers that be here have every right to ban discussion of distilling here, they own/run the site and therefore have a say in the boundaries of discussion (to a degree)
It's in the T&C's so from the get go we know it's right out, no arguing that
As the mods have said, there are other forums dedicated to the subject

bradsbrew said:
. It's been a rule for as long as I can remember, there are plenty of other sites to research and discuss.
Was one of the first rules made.

Yeah... don't piss in the pool guys.

I do like the idea of the compounding pharmacy. Would probably cost a bomb (and you'd have to find a friendly pharmacist) but might not be a bad way to go.

Only need a litre or two to make a heap of limoncello. At 85% or so by the time you break it down to 30 with syrup you'd end up what about 3:1? So 4l or limoncello for a litre of booze. Could be quite cost effective.

I wonder whether you could talk to a naturopath or similar hippy healer. they make alcohol based tinctures all the time and might be more receptive to the healing power of limoncello than a pharmacist.

If you go to any Chemist shop, they can sell you BP 90% Ethanol (with the tax paid) all nice and legal, they might have to order it in which will only take a day or so.
BP means British Pharmacopoeia (not Petroleum) and means its a couple of grades above food grade, so no toluene/benzene or whatever.
Your not going to like the price, there is something like $80 Excise/L of alcohol.
Mark

wereprawn said:
I am fairly ignorant when it comes to distilling and its legalities but...... Every hbs i have ever been to sell stills and spirit making gear. The net is full of pot stills ,fractionating stills ect for sale. Not to mention Aussie forums on the subject. What gives?
You can buy bongs and crack pipes too.

I think I saw Everclear (95%) Grain-distilled alcohol at Dan's.
Also reports are that there is a similar spirit called Spirytus.

Maybe you can discuss the distilling situation with the new forum owner. New owner/ new rules?

Frankly, I don't need that type of chat cluttering up my favourite homebrew forum.

There won't be anything to discuss Les, not long after Austin took over this subject was raised and discussed, Austin and the support team were strongly in favour of not allowing the discussion of distilling on this site and the decision was made to keep the rule in place.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1415681642.979328.jpg

That's what you want. Dan Murphy's. About $60. In the locked case with the minis. Half a shot makes a decent vodka tonic.

I bought a bottle of some 96% spirit a while ago to make some medicine/tonic.

Ordered online as from what I remember Dan's doesn't sell it anymore.

Will try to out a link from my emails. It wasn't cheap, though.

Sweet. there's a Jim's near us. I'll have a look there.

manticle said:
You can buy bongs and crack pipes too.
Fair enough. Selling a used, secondhand bong on ebay might draw unwanted attention though. I always assumed distilling was legal as it's so widely practiced and freely discussed.

wereprawn said:
I always assumed distilling was legal as it's so widely practiced and freely discussed.
Well, it isnt, even though some people may experiment

And this is a Beer forum, not a spirits forum, hence the reason we dont talk about distilling.

As other have stated, there are plenty of other sites that cater for that.

Rules are rules, and its been in place for 10yrs, and I doubt it is going to change

Latest posts

Back