Hi proof neutral spirit .

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave70

Le roi est mort..
Reaction score
Looking to make some limoncello if my lemon tree delivers this year, or even if it doesn't, and need some fire water to steep the skins in. Tried vodka in the past but it just doesn't cut it. Really.
One of the local Dans had Pure Polish last time I checked - about a year ago - though scary expensive for a tiny bottle.
Anybody know of another source?

I use vodka for my limoncello (and limecello... try it... its amazing... orangecello not so much, tastes a bit too much like fanta) and it comes out pretty well. Last year I used the Absolut 100 - the expensive 50%ABV one. That worked well.

Would love to get hold of some proper firewater though. I do know a guy who used to work a s a biologist and grabbed a hefty supply of lab grade ethanol. He uses it to clean plastic models before painting them and thinks I'm weird for wanting to grab some for drinking purposes.

Generally, you can't buy high proof spirits without a license. Winemakers can buy it for making fortified wines. If I ever pull my finger out and get my cidery/meadery started then i should be able to get hold of it, but until then its absolut 100 (or find an old Italian guy who makes grappa on the sly).

Cant remember what vodka I used, which probably explains the results. I know it was nowhere near 50% however. After a month it was basically still the same color I started with.
'Lab grade' has such a nice ring to it.

I've got some Limoncello on soaking right now in some 83% abv neutral, looking forward to mixing it up this weekend and having a sample :chug:

If your LHBS sells that steamy equipment that is used for 'non-beer making' maybe drop him a hint that you're after some raw spirit. He may have a customer that could give (not sell) you some.

;)

sp0rk said:
I've got some Limoncello on soaking right now in some 83% abv neutral, looking forward to mixing it up this weekend and having a sample :chug:
And this 83% neutral spirit... where did it come from. Spill the beans man. Unless its going to get this thread shut down in which case schtum.

Airgead said:
And this 83% neutral spirit... where did it come from. Spill the beans man. Unless its going to get this thread shut down in which case schtum.

Would be good not to have to lock or delete the thread so just exercise caution with what is discussed and what is recommended. Keep it legal and there's no need for moderation.

sp0rk said:
Best not spill the beans...
(it came from a friend)
The same friend who spilt 2 litres of 'spirits" all over the carpet?? :p

Be careful. Very high purity lab ethanol has had the remaining water removed using toluene. Not healthy......

Truman said:
The same friend who spilt 2 litres of 'spirits" all over the carpet?? :p
lol yep
That stuff was crap and was only being used for cleaning, luckily

You could always evaporate and condense some shop bought Vodka....after all, all you would be doing is reducing the volume and increasing the purity of your legally bought Vodka....your not actually making any alcohol

Dave70 said:
Looking to make some limoncello if my lemon tree delivers this year, or even if it doesn't, and need some fire water to steep the skins in. Tried vodka in the past but it just doesn't cut it. Really.
One of the local Dans had Pure Polish last time I checked - about a year ago - though scary expensive for a tiny bottle.
Anybody know of another source?
Where do you live Dave? Maybe someone close by could help you out by suggesting a local "bottlo"......

Ducatiboy stu said:
You could always evaporate and condense some shop bought Vodka....after all, all you would be doing is reducing the volume and increasing the purity of your legally bought Vodka....your not actually making any alcohol
But your distilling, and that is illegal, no matter how you obtained the orignal alcohol. Fermenting a wash isnt illegal, its just like making beer. But distilling it is.

Ducatiboy stu said:
Actually, that is illegal. At least technically, or so I was told. Same as making an eisebock. Kind of.

Last I checked it wasn't illegal discuss distillaton.

It is against the law to have a still (whilst not holding a licence) unless that still is 5L or smaller and is not used to distill alcohol.

But it isn't illegal to discuss how to operate a still.

That's my rant for the day.

Secton 77FK of the Excise Act 1901 is the law.

Eisbocks are perfectly legal. That is not distillaton but concentration.

Cant edit my original post so I'll just leave this here for the sake of harmony.

3. Discussion or Promotion of activities or material that the site administrators believe may potentially be illegal (such as spirit distilling, distribution of copyright software/media and the unlawful acquisition of equipment such as brewery owned kegs) is not permitted. This rule is relative to all areas within the forum and memberships.

Oh look....a Unicorn

2000px-Invisible_Pink_Unicorn.svg.png

Run some 151 through some charcoal?

Wont be totally neutral but wont be to bad either.

Latest posts

Back