Hi from WA

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thermal.spud

Reaction score
Gday all.

Been reading every thing I can, and now too introduce my self and ask questions.

I have just started to do all grain brewing and will start with BIAB.
I am now making a Keggle and still in design mode.

My question s is opening size. Is 250mm too small?
that was as big as I could get it with my grinder, my fear is that the bag will be too full to get out after mashing.

Regards Spud

It's a personal thing, but I cut the whole top off of the one that I converted. Makes it easier to clean and no edges to catch on the bag.

You just need a bigger lid.

The only down side as far as I can see is that you lose the handles.

Edit:

Welcome aboard by the way.................

Thermal.spud said:
Gday all.

Been reading every thing I can, and now too introduce my self and ask questions.

I have just started to do all grain brewing and will start with BIAB.
I am now making a Keggle and still in design mode.

My question s is opening size. Is 250mm too small?
that was as big as I could get it with my grinder, my fear is that the bag will be too full to get out after mashing.

Regards Spud
Hi Spud,

Make the opening as wide as possible, the grain really swells up and will get stuck in the hole if it isn't. It's not that you couldn't wiggle it out but if you have any little burrs or sharp bits around the opening your bag will get damaged, and it's hot.

I used a keggle from a 3 vessel system to try my first BIAB batch and when I went to pull it out all the grain sat in the bottom of the bag like in a large ball and had to be wrestled out, and the hot sticky liquor all over the outside of the vessel which adds to more cleaning you don't need. If you can make the hole as wide as the keggle.

Edit:
I was to slow posting, what Cervantes said above :)

Back