Hi from Tassie.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thorny85

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
After a miserable sort of attempt at brewing beer a few years ago (1 batch). I have decided to give it another go.
I mostly blame my previous failure to lack of knowledge and impatience but i think the last few years ive spent making spirits have taught me some patience and showed me the importance in doing some research. i bought a brewing kit with an extra fermenting barrel and have put down two brews already (showing patience lol).
this time i just used the lme cans with brew enhancer but my next one i want to stick with extract but start adding some hops. i have mostly read a book called "How to Brew" by John J Palmer as well as getting the beersmith app which i find frustratingly american but it has been a bit of help with learning about hop and beer types. so thats a bit of my current story, i look forward to picking your brains and sharing in some of your knowledge.

Welcome.

Lots of info here for all levels of brewing.

Where in TAS and from where are you buying ingredients?

I live a bit north of launceston. at the moment i bought most of my gear from a local nursery but i plan on heading in to launceston this weekend to get the stuff for my next batch. most probably from northern home brewing.

I'm at the other end but plenty of advice available once you know what you want to brew.

Temperature and sanitation are the two foremost important things. Most ales want around 18-20 deg with good, healthy yeast. Goes a long way to making your beer taste like good beer.

There's a few members up wynyard and Launceston direction.

Welcome to the forum, good to see another brewer from Tasmania.

There used to be a Launceston Brew Club dont know whether its still going, google might help.

Always here for any advice.

edit spelling

Ah yes, the local nursery. I used to grab my emergency yeast if I was in Launnie and desperate.

But as a rule, I mailed in supplies and stkcked up when in Hotown.

Welcome,

There is also a good HBS in Invermay (Brew by You) that has good advice and range. * no affiliation

Cheers

Yeah seen there website but it says theyre not open yet.

Thorny85 said:
Cheers went there today and grabbed some stuff
Havent been to Brew by you yet only just realised they even existed, got all my recent purchases from Northern Home Brewing (Great couple that run it by the way) . I live an hour away at shearwater and now I'm getting into All grain side will check out Brew By You also

Nice. Im up at sidmouth ive been using northern with my spirits havent actually paid attention what they have in the way of beer but they are a great couple that run it.

Too bad you hadn't started 3 years back, as I were in Shearwater then. Bulk buy grain, hops from Yob and the occasional trip down to Hobart for yeast and smaller malt amounts.

Our garage in our rental there held usually 50-100kg of grain at any given time. I know there's some Dport and Spreyton lurkers here too, because they snaffled all my give away stuff when we moved to Qld.

Lord Raja Goomba I said:
Too bad you hadn't started 3 years back, as I were in Shearwater then. Bulk buy grain, hops from Yob and the occasional trip down to Hobart for yeast and smaller malt amounts.
Our garage in our rental there held usually 50-100kg of grain at any given time. I know there's some Dport and Spreyton lurkers here too, because they snaffled all my give away stuff when we moved to Qld.
Damn would have been nice to catch up

Latest posts

Back