Hi All!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsclark

Reaction score
Hello All!!

So happy to have stumbled across this group.

I'm completely new to the joys of home brewing and have only completed 1 brew.

I do fly in fly out 24 on 18 days off roster, so my aim is to get a brew down every time I get home.

For my 2nd brew I'm attempting a partial mash American IPA. Cant wait!!

So much knowledge and advice on here which is great because I'm a complete noob!!

Any other FIFO brewers on here??

Daniel

Hi Daniel, and welcome to AHB :beerbang: .
Finding time for brewing is one of life's little challenges I reckon. Heck, I'm retired, but with all the other things to do on a farm, it's tough even for me to make time, even without "work" interrupting all the time! (Olive trees are VERY demanding little blighters...)

But an 18 day stretch should be ideal - 10 to 14 days in the FV is a handy time-scale to work on. As you've inferred, 24+ days might just be too long to leave a brew sitting before bottling/kegging.

Enjoy your new hobby, and as they say, home-brewing can be a VERY slippery slope. :p

G'day Daniel, welcome to AHB.
I think there's a few FIFO Brewers here.
Planning a partial mash for your second brew, good work mate. You'll love it.
Cheers.

Hi dsclark, welcome also. If you wanted to get ahead with your brewing stock you do a brew as you are now and one just before you leave as 18 to 20 days in the fermenter is not a major concern (IMO) if cleanliness, sanitisation and temperature control are up to scratch.

Benn said:
G'day Daniel, welcome to AHB.
I think there's a few FIFO Brewers here.
Planning a partial mash for your second brew, good work mate. You'll love it.
Cheers.
Im planning to use

250g Caramunich
1kg Light Dried Malt
1 Pouch of Mangrove Jacks American Pale Ale
Amarillo hops for the boil
Safale US-05 yeast
Dry hop with Mosiac & Chinook

Does this sound ok? I was thinking of also adding 100g of dextrose.

Consider grabbing yourself an Inkbird ITC-310 (no affiliation). It's programmable, so you could hook it up to a fridge, store your fermenter in said fridge, and set it to 7 days @ 18C, then 3 days @ 21C for D-rest, then 2C for however long til you get home. You'll come home to fermented, d-rested, cold crashed beer :beerbang:

mtb said:
Consider grabbing yourself an Inkbird ITC-310 (no affiliation). It's programmable, so you could hook it up to a fridge, store your fermenter in said fridge, and set it to 7 days @ 18C, then 3 days @ 21C for D-rest, then 2C for however long til you get home. You'll come home to fermented, d-rested, cold crashed beer :beerbang:
Mate that is an excellent idea!! Thanks.

Latest posts

Back