Herms Vessel Designs And Pictures Wanted

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fraser_john

Go Pies
Reaction score
Per this thread Crozdogs HERMS setup questions

Currently I am trying to collect as many HERMS vessel designs off this site as possible and will be putting something together for our Asian stainless builder for a quote. Thinking of about a 5-10 litre herms vessel with stainless coil inside, 1" BPT or NPT coupling on the bottom for an element, 1/2" NPT couplings on inlet and outlet of stainless coil and a drain valve of some sort. Stainless coil would be 3/8" tube and about 3-4 meters in length.

This should be small enough for him to easily mail to us here in Aus.

Either post your design or picture on this thread. Or, email directly to [email protected]

Thanks

FJ - I would ensure you have a spot for insertion of a temperature probe, probably on the outlet side of the coil, but if they are fabricating a unit, I would get them to quote on a spot on the inlet and the outlet. Cap them if not to be utilised.

2c.

Not all stainless but should give you an idea.
2200watt element, inlet at the bottom, outlet at the top with probe, pot holds 12 lt water. raises temp 1 p/m. Probably between 3 & 5 metres of copper pipe, not exactly certain now but I can measure if you want.

herms_001__640x480_.JPGherms_003__640x480_.JPG
herms_004__640x480_.JPG

Andrew

9 Lt pot, inlet on the left with outlet on the right where temperature probe(not in picture) screws into.
The element is from a $19 Target kettle rated at 2200-2400W. There is about 5.5m of 1/2'' copper tubing. Can use it to ramp temperature from Protein rest to Saccharification to Mash out at a rate of 1-2C / min.

I would like to try and fit 9m of tubing into this same pot using sand to bend the tubing, something I didn't use when bending mine which proved tricky.

HEX.JPG

Per this thread Crozdogs HERMS setup questions

Currently I am trying to collect as many HERMS vessel designs off this site as possible and will be putting something together for our Asian stainless builder for a quote. Thinking of about a 5-10 litre herms vessel with stainless coil inside, 1" BPT or NPT coupling on the bottom for an element, 1/2" NPT couplings on inlet and outlet of stainless coil and a drain valve of some sort. Stainless coil would be 3/8" tube and about 3-4 meters in length.

This should be small enough for him to easily mail to us here in Aus.

Either post your design or picture on this thread. Or, email directly to [email protected]

Thanks

THREAD STEALER
SAV

I would like to try and fit 9m of tubing into this same pot

Just as I plan on doing Elton except I'm thinking on around 8 metres (Or more IF it will fit?).
Plan to shrink my pot size down from 10 litres to 8 litres in the future if need be?
Good luck with it. :icon_cheers:

TP

Here is mine.

5-6L aluminium pressure cooker. 6m of 3/8" copper.
Quick connect fittings on coil. Agitated stirring inside with stand alone temp controller that essentially functions as an over temp back up (my pot can't over over heat). Also allows the unit to heat up to the desired temp on it's own, independent of the breweries temp controller.

It allows me to have the heat exchanger temp set and reayd to go as soon as I'm ready to start recirculating. It started life as a scientific water bath heater. The element is rated at 1.2kW, but if you convert that to the amount of liquid (5L) it equals 250W/L so it's very quick to respond to demand. Compare that to a 10L vessel with 2000w element=200w/L and you can see the small element is not that bad an issue.

Temp sensor measures the output of the coil but up where it re-enters the mash tun.

heat_exchanger_top.jpg

100_2126.JPG

heat_exchanger_underside.jpg

100_2125.JPG

waterbath.jpg

herms.jpg

This is mine. It is tube heat exchanger that I cut the top off and dangle a hand held Immersion element into. It is fully insulated and stainless throughout. Beside it is a pic of my chiller which is the same thing without the top cut off. Both work very effectively at displacing heat and are easy to clean as they are SS. I think from memory it holds 3 L of water. I also had sanitary fitting welded which are a breeze to dismantle. I also think they are good for stopping air leaks get in and mess with my pump.
DSC01584.jpg

Back