Here Kitty!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can't let my favourite topic go without comment...

I grew up with pet cats (and ducks, chooks, geese, mice, fish, yabbies, wallabies, birds, galahs, guinea pigs, rabbits, turtles, crazy crabs, dogs) and I have been emotionally attached to several cats so I understand how hard it is to kill a friendly cat, nonicman so the RSPCA option might be best.

But make no mistake, cats are responsible for the extinction of many a marsupial in this country and continue to wreak destruction. Any effort to re-establish native fauna always starts with baiting foxes and cats and fencing them out of an area. But cats are better suited to Australian conditions than foxes as they can go without water for very long periods of time and survive well in desert environments.

For a mouse problem, get a jack russell or a fox terrier. They are much better mousers and ratters than cats, and they won't attack birds or lizards like cats do.

Rats make good pets too. Intelligent, clean, easily trained, affectionate and content in captivity. But if it escapes to my house, I will poison, trap or somehow kill it if I can and finding a humane method comes second to finding an effective method.

Same with cats.

I can understand it for necessity's sake, deebee. But finding humour or satisfaction in it is something I can't fathom.

Sorry, rant mode off. Time for a beer.

Back