Here Kitty!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess there has been a few jokes about cats, but I've gained a feline problem.
I'm not a cat person and have a few cat pelts under my belt so to speak (sorry to the cat lovers but that is reality).
The problem, a vile cat has come to our flat begging for whatever, it's like a dog and follows us around. Nobody claims ownership, but I can't dispatch it as it appears to have asked for our help and is extremely friendly. So I've locked it inside at night and let it out during the day hoping it would either get run over or go back to it's real owners. It hasn't and it is tugging at the heart strings.
The cat appears house trained but is an undesexed male (illresponsible owners). I can't keep the thing as cats don't belong in this country, yet I can't dispatch it as it has asked for help. Which option would you take?

1. take it the RSPCA and let them dispatch it,
2. close my eyes and dispatch it
3. have it desexed and accidentally dispatch it
4. keep it, but leash it during the day (can't build a cage for it as I rent a small town house)
5. ?

Edit: anyone want a free cat? could post it.

Have it put down...that way it is all nice and legal.

"Donating" it to the RSPCA would be the no-cost way to go, as nobody ever buys an adult male cat ;)

PZ.

put it out of its misery, its missing its old home ,its lost and hungry dispatch it for its own good . its just cruel keeping it ...

Cheers fnqbunyip

Take it to the RSPCA, it's one place where owners go looking for lost pets.

RSPCA is the go... you don't want it turning up in your next takeaway... ;)

"cats don't belong to this country"??
Same as white fellas, certain dogs, rabbits, foxes, etc etc etc.
Cats cause less damage than feral dogs/foxes/pigs, people just like to slag them off for some reason.

Bazza said:
Cats cause less damage than feral dogs/foxes/pigs, people just like to slag them off for some reason.

Because they're nasty little creatures!

Not sure about cats doing less damage than other animals, but the fact remains they still do significant damage, and it's not just the feral cats.

There was a survey conducted in Adelaide and rural South Australia on the predatory behaviour of domestic cats. The study was based on a survey given to cat owners (can't claim anti-cat bias if it's the owners providing the evidence). The survey found that about 62% of cats took birds, 59% took mammals and 34% took reptiles; some took frogs and insects. Twice as many mammals (15.7) were returned on average by cats to their owners each year than either birds (8.0) or reptiles (7.8). Capture rates varied with locality, being least in suburban areas (22.1 individual prey taken per year) and greatest in rural areas (54.3 prey/year), presumably reflecting differences in prey abundance or accessibility, or in the opportunities for hunting by the cats. These capture rates are probably underestimates, as well-fed cats in a comparable study on a farm in Illinois found that only half the prey captured were returned to the household.

Rough extrapolations from the capture rate data suggest that the impact of domestic cats on native fauna is substantial. Given densities of cats in suburban Adelaide of 2/ha, densities of birds of 10-30/ha and an offtake by cats of 10-20 birds per year, predation by cats will remove at least 50% of the standing bird populations or destroy all the young being hatched. In such circumstances, populations could be maintained only by continuous immigration from surrounding areas where cat predation was less intense.

So don't make excuses about cats being better or worse than other animals. Fact is that even domestic cats are crap for the environment.

The only good cat is a Wolmsley hat!

MAH

Bazza said:
"cats don't belong to this country"??
Same as white fellas, certain dogs, rabbits, foxes, etc etc etc.
[post="87579"][/post]​

Yeah, but I've never met someone who has been breeding feral pigs...

peas_and_korn said:
Yeah, but I've never met someone who has been breeding feral pigs...

You sure P&K? I grew up in the northern suburbs and there was a lot of feral pigs breeding out there ;) .

Cheers
MAH

MAH said:
The only good cat is a Wolmsley hat!

MAH
[post="87602"][/post]​

i will second that.there a damn menace up here in arnhemland.cane toads might dent there numbers though.

cheers
big d

I can't stand cats. That's why I love this pic!

Owned.jpg

Cats may be hunters by nature and toy with their prey, but people ought to be above animal cruelty. I find pictures like that repugnant.

Unless the cat's dead already, in which case I don't really care.

Nonicman, if you cannot keep a cat, or don't want a cat as a pet, then the RSPCA is the right option.

However, if you had ever contemplated a cat, looks like you have found one that likes you and is already house trained.

Desexing a male cat isn't that expensive.

I agree with everyone's comments that cats can be a real menace in the bush and any feral cat that wanders past here gets a dose of lead. But they also make very nice pets too. Cats catch mice. Mice attract snakes. Therefore a mouser (not a mauser) can be an excellent pet around the place.

I don't mind the humble cat. They are like any other pet, a good owner will have the cat desexed and trained not to hunt (or at least have a bell around the neck). Blaming cats because of irresponsible owners is the same as trying to have dog breeds banned because some idiots either don't train them or train them to be agressive.

Cats catch mice. Mice attract snakes. Therefore a mouser (not a mauser) can be an excellent pet around the place.

Depending on where you live a Mauser might be an excellent "pet" to have around the place! :p

Latest posts

Back