Herbs And Spices

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That sounds as an awesome ale. Except the rosehips, the slightest taste of which induces sickness in me. :icon_cheers:

Some great ideas have been given. I have been making infusions (coffee plunger and boiling water) but only adding it to the last few litres of beer at bottling (I bulk prime). This way you are not stuck with 20 litres of mistake. For example, yesterday I bottled a kolsch. To the last 5 litres I added an infusion of 3 gms of lemon myrtle, smelt great (my coffee this morning is a bit lemony :rolleyes: ).
If you keg you still can do a few bottles with the last few litres. I have tried chilli, basil, ginger, coffee etc. This year I intend to experiment with native Australian ingredients.
There is no reason not to brew 20 litres of a base beer and divide it into 4 or 5 lots at bottling and add different infusions to each. You can then do full batches of the "winners". Infusions at bottling seem to give a more definate flavour and aroma than do ingredients added at in the boil IMHO. Please note, do not add fermentable additions at bottling unless their carbonating effects have been calculated or bottle bombs will result.
Hope this helps.

Hi Barry,
where do you get Lemon myrtle, is it 3 gr of dried leaves, or is it a powder?
Sorry if this is a dumb question, just never seen it. I tried the Baron's wheat beer with lemon myrtle and it certainly was a nice twist.

thanks
Bjorn

It is powdery but with fine bits. Korev gave it to me. Shop in Sydney CBD was the source but I do not know the name. Will research.

If you get licorice root powder (also cheap from health food shops) though, use only the slightest sprinkling as that **** is amazingly strong.

What do you mean it's amazingly strong? Licorice has very little flavour, it does make a decent sweetener though.

The flavour in licorice candy is from aniseed, not licorice.

Rob.

Licorice candy was once made from licorice plant. It contains the same aromatics as aniseed according to wiki.
It does have a cloying sweetness it imparts as well. Possibly the dried licorice root powder I bought was a concentrate, but it was not labelled as such.
Just a word of warning so no one makes an undrinkably aniseed-rich, glycyrrhizin-sweet gruit they can't drink.

What are your thoughts on a witbier with vanilla instead of fruit zest?

I have been pondering this one for awhile.

Or an Apple cinnamon cider?

I just need to find me some recipes... :unsure:

Back